My Partner got up during the night and became disorientated. Any advice?

He was trying to get to the bathroom and headed for the closet. My partner got up during the night and needed to use the bathroom. He became disorientated and headed the wrong way and cut his fingers on the rough wall of the closet. He tried to turn around and got out of the closet and fell AGAIN. He is becoming more disorientated and hallucinating more and more. He still knows who I am and is very appreciative about my being here with him. I would never be anywhere else. I will hate the day when he no longer knows who I am. I am afraid to let the nurse know he fell again. I don't want them to force me to place him in outside care. Can they do that? I want him home until the end. If need be I will hire outside help, but we both agreed that he would never go to "the Home". Can they make me send him there?

18

Answers

Before my father passed away, he was having to get up at night yo go yo the bathroom and had some episodes go almost falling due to balance issues. When there are underlying balance issues they are worse in the dark. We placed low level night lights in several strategic places and they helped a lot and did not interfere with sleeping. Also told dad to make sure he had his balance sitting at the edge of the bed before he stood up.

Sendme2help- to follow up on your medication point- there are some drugs that a ER would normally give to a person that would be extremely bad for a person with Parkinsons. I work with Parkinsons a lot and there is a special list of drugs that should never be given to them. Caregivers need to have a copy of this list if they take a person to the ER. Moondance- have no idea who you are talking to but I understand- I like to know a situation before offering advice- info on a posting has a chance to misused in the wrong context.

NO~contact me personally for advice. I choose not to post professional advice here.

Thank you ALL of you for your tremendous suggestions. Reading everything here and all your answers, I have already called the nurse from home care and she has not called me back yet. What if it was an emergency. Of course, I would then call 911. The Home Health is a real let down for me. I am calling tomorrow to start investigating a care giver. I DO NOT want him living anywhere but at home. It would kill him for sure. And neither of us wants to be separated. We are just not ready for that yet.

Another thing, with Parkinson's patients, I am finding it miraculous how they bounce back again and again! It is truly encouraging to be a part of this, watching the brave be really brave!
Have you seen the blog by John Schiappi here on aging care.com?

There is a list called the Beers List of medications that the elderly should not take, check this with his doctor and pharmacist.
Be sure to plan ahead with the medical power of attorney and other legal documents that will allow you to act on his behalf, unless he has children who will do this. With the new HIPPA laws, the doctors cannot tell you anything.

I don't tell my Mom about appt or visitors until just before. If I tell her she will be up in the middle of the night. I 've told her no getting up in the dark works most of the time. She has a hard time telling time even with the numbers 2 in high. She can get the first # so I tell her no getting up until it says 8. She gets up for bathroom visits. Sometimes it w

A bedside commode could help a LOT!

His doctor can definitely refuse to release him to come home if he feels either he or you would be in danger. My partner was admitted to the emergency room after having hallucinations for one night and the next day. After anything medical was ruled out they sent him to the psychiatric hospital for an evaluation and after 2 weeks he was sent, by ambulance to a care facility. The doctor said it was out of my hands, and I had no say in it anymore. He is in a facility about 50 miles away in a big city where I can only get to see him once a month. We are both very unhappy about it, but he appears to be getting decent care with few exceptions. It's heartbreaking for me, so I sympathize with you.

I agree with the above, it could be a side effect from a medication. You might also try to limit the amount of fluid he intakes a couple of hours before bedtime. Speak with the doctor about these symptoms, it could be something medical.