Got extremely depressed again. Mom passed back in April. Any advice?

Getting married Dec 13 and miss Mom.Went to the clinic today due to stress, depression, etc. Been having horrible dreams about Mom. Denying her requests in my dreams. Well, doc says I seem to be beating myself up subconsciously. I seem to be questioning the care I gave her which is crazy because our hospice nurse said my sister and I were doing anything and everything possible for Mom. Diagnosed with post traumatic stress disease associated with Mom's care and her passing. Any one out there have or had this problem?

17

Answers

I lost my brother and father within months of each other in 1992. My brother had AIDS and I was primary caregiver. It was a long drawn out painful death. It may not feel like it now, but it will get better. The first year is the worst. I am so sorry you are in so much pain.

my brother had also passed on in 1986

Let me assure you that there is a heaven. I know this.
My mother had stage 4 cancer and a couple months before she passed on, I asked her one day if she would do something for me.
Of course she said yes.
I asked her if she would somehow, someway let me know that my brother (her son) was ok after she passed on. She looked at me strange and said, sure.
She passed on a Saturday morning with me holding her hand. I was blessed that I was able to help her in her time of need.
The next evening, I was moving some cookbooks from the kitchen to make room for the food people were bringing in. I moved them to her bedroom and laid them on her bed. When I did that, a picture of my brother that I had never seen, fell onto the bed beside the cookbooks.
She always kept pictures in an album and was very adamant about this. She never had pictures hanging around the house or refrigerator, only in the albums.
I looked at his picture and looked, then, said, "Thank you Mom."

I love the description of your wedding and the things you are doing to honor those you've lost!! I am sure your doctor will remind you that most antidepressants take a few weeks to show effectiveness. Driving 30 minutes or even up to an hour is well spent driving time to go to a grief group. You could even listen to comforting books on cd or tape while driving. When I was able to work I drove 40 minutes each way. I am hoping to be accepted into a Clinical Trial to treat my FTD (dementia) in NY city which will involve taking a 4 hour train ride down there, spending the night in a cheap hotel and returning home the next day. This will happen once a week for several weeks. I will not be reimbursed for traveling expenses but if it can help me or others in the future get better it's worth it.
Best of luck!

Coolieslady13 Congrats to you on what will be a most memorable wedding! It appears to me that you are working towards getting better. In the long run no one can put a definitive number on grieving. When my mom died I felt as if I died too . I felt like a shell of my former self. So many angels professional and non professionals helped me find myself once again. But it wasn't until I decided that I " absorbed my mother's spirit " and had a responsibility to " live in her light" that I finally felt the love for life return to my spirit. Everyone has given u such wonderful advice and I know you will one day know love is eternal and your mother still lives in you. You are her legacy so " live in her light" as I am sure she would want u to do. Take how ever long it takes to find your peace because it really is an individual process. Be blessed and enjoy your wedding!

Griefshare - can call around to see if any churches in your area hold weekly meetings. They also have a website from where you can order their workbook and have an encouraging message sent to you via email daily.

Griefshare - call local churches around where you live to find out if they have any weekly meetings. Can also find them on their website and order their daily encouraging emails as well as their workbook.

Coolieslady, good news all around, especially on the change of meds! Sounds like the awesom-est wedding! Happy Thanksgiving!

All of you have given wonderful advice (as usual) but most of it doesn't work here. Let me explain. I live in a town with the whopping population amount of 468 people. Red River NM is an amazing tourist town high up in the mountains. About 20 minutes from the Colorado border in the central area at the elevation of 8750 we have a wonderful ski season in the winter and hiking, horseback riding, jeep tours 4 wheeling, etc in the summer. Our "winter" season has just started again this week so doing things like meeting a friend for coffee would be possible now as places are opening up again. A walk? Too cold & no fun in all the snow! The closest grief counseling is over an hour away. Tried to get one going for our town but no one interested in it. As for my future husband, since he lost his
dad 1 month after my Mom passed, has been very supportive. We both have. As far as postponing the wedding.....ain't gonna happen! Getting married at noon at the best bar in town with the town judge (also Rocky's boss) in his "old western clothes" will be presiding. Reception also at the bar. All of our friends who live and work here will be in & out on their breaks all day! Red River is only 1 mile long with Main St., High st., and River Rd. I am putting my Dad's (1990) drivers licence in my bra, will be wearing Moms (2014) wedding ring, and a dragon figurine of my stepdads (Dec 2012) is our wedding cake topper. Rocky picked the date of the 13th partly because that was my late husbands favorite number. He died on March 13th 2001. I know in my heart that they will all be there with us and that I will be OK. (On the medical front Doc is changing my antidepressant) And to terryjack1 my heart goes out to you for the sudden loss of your Mom. My FMLOA ran out & I lost my job of 8 years (Walmart) but I do now how blessed I was to be with Mom the lasts months of her life and even with as hard as it was I will treasure that time for the rest of my life! Hoping every one will have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Make a ceremony one for you, one for your mother. Plant a tree somewhere for your mom. For you, take all the worries, guilty thoughts, self doubts and write them on a piece of paper. That that paper outside and burn it, watch the bits float away, and as they float away let them float out of your heart and sole. Your mother would not want you to be burdened by them. Then start your new life.

Also, the death of a parent is a severe stress. Consider counseling. If you have a history of depression, consider medication if all these other steps are not helpful.