What is a good place to do a background check on a potential caregiver?

We need to find someone to care for Mom when we go to a family wedding, vacation , etc. We have been told agency people (CNAs) can not give meds or take blood sugar levels. Would like a private person but need to do a background check.

13

Answers

I use instant checkmate it is about $30 a month but I have found that it is worth the money to me. It is available online.

State Judiciary Case Search.

I wouldn't

Please know you can do background checks online if you know the persons full name and address. One website (I believe it is called Truthfinders) offers a financial check as well for an additional fee, however, I have never used that offer so I don't know how extensive or though it may be. Also, whitepages may be another place to do a background check. Honestly, I don't know how much info these websites provide or how accurate the info is. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable using these websites. Plus, if a person has a record they are experts at hiding info unless the crime is so severe it becomes public record and can't be hidden. I sincerely feel, after being so emotionally wounded and violated with my theft, a person looking for a trusted caregiver would be much more secure interviewing people living local. If there is a problem, the entire neighborhood would know about it. A churchgoer as well. No one wants the pastor or head of a church, to find out a parishioner took advantage of the poor, isolated or elderly. Hope this helps. My heart reaches out to you. I prayerfully hope you find a loving and compassionate caregiver. Your love one deserves nothing less.

Do you have a friend or family member who is a nurse? - they may take it on or know a retired/part time nurse who would do it -

Your local hospital may know someone & if they are reluctant to give you personal information then leave your name & contact info with the idea the hospital will call the person will call & they contact [this is the way around privacy issue] you in turn - this would be a low stress work for someone who is tired of hospital work - references would be easy too

What a powerful question and the timing could not be better. When you find an acceptable answer to this question, please let the world know! Several of my friends including myself who care for a Alzheimer love one, have been ripped off. These are so- called 'bonded and highly trained people' hired by the agency they represent to give 'outstanding and compassionate' care! Our local law enforcement tells us this is a growing and major concern with the elderly being taken advantage of. Most items taken are rarely recovered from pawn shops. If I could suggest, I would talk to your minister or priest. Whatever you do, please get someone who lives local. Check on their past. Ask, ask and ask. Invite and insist on having any potential caregiver come into your home and get to know them. Scrutinize their every move or mannerism. Be AWARE! Don't give out any private information. Also, recommend if you have expensive jewelry or collectibles, put the jewelry in the locked trunk of your car. Take pictures of your collectibles. You may want to check with your homeowner's insurance to make certain any lost or stolen items are covered under your policy. Please do not do what I did. I went with an agency recommended by a church friend. It was a nightmare. I had thousands of dollars of items taken. Only had, in 10 years of being a caregiver to my husband, a professional caregiver come into our home 4 times to watch my husband. Each time a different person was assigned. The last one, a 30 year old doper, ripped me off. Can't replace what she (and her boyfriend) took. Can't prove it either. The items are gone...in the 5 hours she was to watch my husband. But, I was also naïve and stupid. Her bringing in a backpack and telling me she likes to read and always carries books with her should have peaked my commonsense, but I was so desperate to go out with my girlfriends for an evening, I pooh, poohed the red flags and my instincts off. So, please anyone looking for a caregiver be extremely careful. People, desperate for money, will sign-up with an agency, or advertise on their own, to watch the elderly knowing full well they are easy prey. And, they know if reported, it's their word against the elderly. Their defense is the elderly they watch are confused, forgetful and delusional. It's a ploy, a scam, and it is getting worse.

In 11 states, it is illegal to pull credit reports for potential employees. There are over 20 more are trying to enact the same legislation. It has been deemed a discriminatory practice in those states.

I live in a small town - 1500 at the last census.
I would start with my local churches first.

You could also look into short-term nursing home care; sort of like a swing-bed. If you're going to be away for a week, that is the route I would probably take. Again, your local church might be able to help swing it for you. Call your local Welfare/Medicaid agency and/or HomeHealthCare to ask for help in this.

Just my opinion of what I would try first.

The agency with which I work to care for my dad will recommend a person who can give medicines, take blood sugar levels, and care for wounds, for example, but the cost is quite a bit higher than the caregiver. It's worth it, though, because doing the background check is time consuming and you'll lack access to some information, such as credit, which the agencies can get as employers of record. Credit information is important if you have anything of value in your home. The temptation for a person who is struggling with debt is significant. I speak from experience.

Cbp, some agencies offer skilled nursing vs. non-skilled, I personally would put in the time to find one that you like and has what you need. That way you will have a 'relationship' set up for future support. In my area there are around 41 agencies, it is a very very busy industry. And even tho a CNA cannot physically do the two things you list, they can have her do them herself. Good luck!