Hi, If you're interested, the background info is in my discussion thread
" Oh No, I Really Messed Up"
Or something like that.
So Mom had a stroke and a seizure in my car, 5 minutes after leaving the ER. They said she was fine. Yeah OK! I brought her back and she was admitted. She had a CT scan, EEG, MRI and a sonogram of her neck. She also had x Ray's of her chest and back. I insisted they give her the MMA test. One in the morning, again at noonish then at night. Because I learned here that different times of the day matter....Thank You, I learned so much on this site.
She aced all three. I was told by neurologist, dementia can only be verified post mortem.
EEG showed she did have a seizure. MRI showed one full stroke and some mini strokes, all on the right side of brain. X ray's showed, pneumonia and arthritis in lower back.
The diagnosis that really thrilled me,
( well not thrilled, but gave me hope, if that makes sense)
was her carotid arteries are clogged. The right one has 30 percent narrowing and the left is narrowed by 70 percent! Which, of course, means one is functioning at 70 percent and the other at only 30 percent! WOW!
No wonder she is always dizzy and bounces off walls. And Is confused and forgetful. Poor girl, she's not getting enough blood to the brain!
The hospitalist and neurologist were hell bent on finding a cause for the stroke. And bless their cotton socks, they sure did.
Actually, they say they never say anything with a 100 percent accuracy, but they are satisfied it was the clogs in the neck arteries.
The surgeon said pieces of the gunk that's in the arteries, loosen and shoot up to the brain. Crazy right?! In Mom's case it wasn't the left artery, the one that's seventy percent clogged, that did it. It was the right one. Because the pieces don't shoot up and move across to the opposite side.
So now Mom is a high stroke risk. We're praying the loaded
(70 o/o) artery doesn't shoot a piece up just right, like the lesser of the two did. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed. Lol
She will have surgery in 6 to 8 weeks from now on the 70 percent clogged one. Then 6 to 8 weeks after that, the other one will also be cleaned out.
She will be awake for both surgeries as the surgeon needs to ask her questions and have her move certain parts of her body during the operation.
I told Mom, who was freaked out by being awake, that I had 3 C-sections and was awake for them all. So she can do it. 😉
Is anyone familiar with surgery due to hardening of the arteries?
Thanks for reading, this has been extremely rough.