Has anyone gone from the name brand drug Namenda XR 28 mg to the generic memantine hcl 5 or 10 mg?

I plan to ask her doc if we can do this. She's already on the generic for Aricept with no problems for a few years now. I'll have to say I've noted more recent anger/aggression and am suspecting the Namenda XR after reading some comments on this forum. Right now am planning on giving her the Namenda XR every other day instead of every day to see if this might help a bit. The anger is a new thing for us. She checked out fine the other day (no UTI). Otherwise, she seems to be doing alright. Of course, the price difference down to the generic would be nice if the doc is agreeable. Any experience you folks have with this would be appreciated. I'd rather she be off the stuff completely but know she must at least be weaned. She does well physically, can feed herself and is still continent.

16

Answers

Wow, just want to thank you for your question and the many answers. I am just beginning on this journey. We are just about to start Nameda, I appreciate all your advice and information.

Wow, can't believe the price of the generic Namenda, had no idea but didn't check prices. Mom is still on the Namenda XR 28 mg, and we just refilled it for 90 days at $250, so I guess that price isn't so bad after all (she's Aetna Medicare/Express Scripts, retired school bus driver with evidently pretty good coverage). Her doc was not okay with dropping it or the Aricept generic and said there'd been a more recent study that said the combination of Aricept/Namenda is still a good thing, so I couldn't challenge her. Mom's quiet at this point, eating well, sleeping through the night with no mirtazapine or Ativan for quite awhile now, walking and talking well for the most part, so I guess I just knock on wood for the time being and continue what we're doing now, though her behavior can change on a dime.

My husband with early on set FTD has been taking the generic Menantine 10 mg for about 2 yrs now and not sure if it really helps him or not but he doesn't have side effects. The cost through Express Scripts if 384.00 for 90 days. Just checked the Namenda ER 21 mg. and the cost would be 1019.00 for 90 days. No generic will be available until after 2025. Our only choice is continuing the generic.

Letitia, a few years back, the neurologist had started her on Depakote and wanted to increase the dosage. I didn't like how she did even on small doses, and the neurologist seemed none too happy with me when I resisted. I didn't care for his pushy nurse, anyway, and the visits there seemed almost pointless after that. We switched to an internist/gerontologist. I do have a bottle of mirtazapine that her old family doc prescribed for its side effect of weight gain. That works well when she gets extra angry and anxious, and I love it when she eats well. She will sleep well and quiet down for a day or so, stops the constant jabbering, and the gerontologist is okay with my giving it this way. I'm hoping the gerontologist will be open to stopping the Namenda or cutting the dose or trying the generic. I'm not expecting it to help much at all anyway at this point. I think the hallucinations will be an ongoing thing anyway, just hate that anger. Most of the time, the imaginary folks she entertains are friendly, and I can take that.

Does your mother see a psych nurse? If not she should. You may really want to investigate having her take an anti-psychotic. Particularly if she is hallucinating. I resisted it for a long time but a low dosage made an enormous difference in my mother's behavior. With the type of conversations you are describing you may really want to consider it. My mother also had a very bad reaction to Namenda. We had to take her right off of it. It wasn't physical reaction as much as it was an emotional one. She got very upset but couldn't really tell us why other than to take about the nebulous (and menacing) "them." This was an immediate reaction (2-3 days) but I wonder if the Namenda could be causing problems for your mother. Some people's tolerance to a drug changes over time. Just a thought. Good luck to you.

Again, thank you all very much for your information! I'm really hoping the doc will be okay with the change to the generic when she's finished with these. I get what you're saying about the tiers, though, mar126, but am waiting to hear back from Express Scripts with her Aetna Medicare and this new 2016 formulary. I sure can't say we saw much improvement from the time she was taken off the Namenda 10 mg and placed on the XR version. I guess she's holding steady but the price continues to climb. I'm really hoping that we can try the generic and that this doc is alright with it.

You may be able to save with mail order. Worth a shot.

My wife was first prescribed Namenda XR late last year. She had not been on Namenda before. but had bad side effects to XR, nausea, diarrhea, headache. After discussing it with the Doc, he gave us a 10 mg Namenda prescription which was unavailable at the time locally. We get generic version (Memantine) from Canada for $0.55 per pill. She takes 1.5 pills per day without bad effects. (I can't see any good effects, either.) Her balance is poor, difficulty walking without support, speech is very poor. Watches TV most of the day, nodding off occasionally.

With all the prescription companies I deal with, if there is a generic that is what the pharmacy is required to give u. If a doctor feels you do better with a namebrand he must contact ur insurance and tell them why.

Hey Cindy. Pharmacist Jim here. Namenda generic (Memantine) should save you some $$. Only drawback is giving it 2X daily versus once a day on the Namenda XR. Looks like the generic might run anywhere from $60+ per month (cash price) for 60 tablets (without insurance). Hopefully Mom responds to generic and has good luck with generic. Hang in there!