Anyone have experience giving older person Zoloft for depression?

How long for it to work? Side effects?

21

Answers

1 2 3
I certainly would NOT give them my drugs, I would list basic stuff. you are not tested for medications...just for drugs...that are illegal. wen I was in the work force...and needed to be on antidepressants, I never listed it. take care...and thanks for the post.

Lifeexperiences it still is in many places unfortunately. Now HIPPA is far from as safe as it was designed to be. Things like that may affect job chances especially at higher levels. I personally don't like telling the receptionist why I want to see the Dr when I call or a medical aide or LPN before I get to see the Dr. I realize it is a time saver and personally It does not matter to me anymore but in my last job instead of an annual physical we were required to fill out a form which listed all medications. As i said no longer an issue but when i have to provide the spelling of my drugs I do wonder why i am telling this person at all. now i just hand over a typed list.

years ago it was taboo to be on antidepressants....tooo bad...when you need them they are great and get you to the other side of the road!!! please keep us posted.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback - and taking the time to respond with your personal experiences. I have resisted any antidepressant meds for my mom for many years even though she has probably needed something for quite some time. I wanted to make sure she wasn't overdrugged and maintained mental clarity and good mobility. However, now that she has decreased mobility - and helpers - considering an antidepressant wasn't as difficult a decision. It has not yet been a month that she has been on it. I will continue surveying her helpers to get their feedback on the effect it is having and then have another conversation with her dr.

My 89 yr old dad has been on Zoloft for two years. It has helped his anxiety tremendously.

My 86 year old MIL has been taking it for quite a while. It is hard to say what
is does. She is fairly healthy and takes few medications. Use with caution,
Zoloft can make people more emotional than Lexapro. I am not a doctor so this is
not medical advise, just my observation.

I myself have been on Zoloft at times in my life...have had several of my friends try that specific anti-depressant and all incl my father have had great results and NO side effects. You probably will have to have that dose raised in time...but don't worry about it...I'm sure it will be a great help for her!

My Partner takes TWO depression meds...When he broke out in a rash and they were not sure what drug caused the rash, I had to stop both. The difference in his behavior was evident. If prescribed correctly, based on a diagnosis that has been thought out, these drugs are a miracle. I could not live with him if he had to stop taking the pills. I think just getting old and having memory loss and being weak is enough to send anyone into depression

My mom takes .5 mg. Alprazolam morning and night. Can take 3 times a day if she is panicking over something. Was in Hosp last year and not getting meds and she thought there was a fireplace in her room, that a nurse took her driving around St. Louis looking for a "place", and that she had been taken outside and down a sidewalk to a "shed out back for a heart test and it was full of tools and lawn equipment". Says she got the test, which I believe but not that she was taken out to an outbuilding. She was in hospital in March this year and I made it clear that she HAD TO HAVE those meds and they complied. (perhaps it was in her records that last year she threatened to throw something through a window if they didn't get the paperwork to send her home as they had promised. That might have moved things along some.). I'm sure we all have our stories. I can smile about it now, thankfully. I say yes to anti-anxiety and anti-depressants if needed and you get the good results.

I am 82, and am a caregiver for my Alzheimer's-ridden husband. I have been on Zoloft for some time with excellent results. I do not feel "happy" but it simply calms me and makes me feel less depressed. I have been on 50mgs, but due to the recent acceleration of my husband's symptoms, the doctor recently upped it to 75mgs. Although not a pill-popper by choice, I find that we caregivers need all the help we can get. If taking a Zoloft each day helps me cope, so be it.

1 2 3