What are some things that don't take up a lot of space or cost a lot of money that I can give my mom for the holidays? I've recently bought her plenty of new clothes, as quite a few items disappeared at her old facility. I already keep her stocked in things like lotion and candy. She's not allowed to have any kind of small appliances. I am out of ideas.

Your time.

If it's possible, with her mobility and sight problems, take her out, such as to her favorite local place, or to have her hair and nails done, or anything else she may have mentioned in passing that she misses seeing or being around.

It doesn't have to cost much other than your time and energy (yeah, I know it can "cost" you a lot in energy to take out a person with issues). Perhaps a favorite haunt from years past with friends already here to greet her and reminisce.

If she can't or shouldn't leave the facility, perhaps a gathering of friends just to say, "I love you".
Reply to MountainMoose

How about one of those photo frames that you & other friends/family can add pictures, remotely, to entertain her?
Reply to QIThelp

A small box of 'gifts to give away. Since it is very difficult for seniors to shop, one can buy small items which their loved one can give away to special people in their facility.
Travel size lotions, shampoo, dollar store holiday/seasonal decorations, individual kleenex packs, wrapped candy/always makes someone leave with something sweet... allow your loved one to give what they received. It is a joy for them to be able to do so.
Reply to aloneincare
emanes 21 hours ago
Great idea - thank you!
(2)
One year I took my mom a nicely arranged basket of chips, pretzels and small bags of candy. When she was done, I took the basket home. Also, one year my grandsons and I went and decorated her room for Christmas. She didn’t really appreciate gifts and I got most of them back so I tried not to get too much material stuff.

Those giant super juicy Royal Riviera pears from Harry & David ---https://www.harryanddavid.com/h/fruit-gift/pears
or
A small fruit arrangement from Edible Arrangements
https://www.ediblearrangements.com/christmas-gifts

I know from personal experience that people FLIP OUT when they lay eyes on the Edible Arrangements......they are remarkable. The H&D pears are so large you have to eat them with a spoon. Both of these gifts my parents love(d) to receive.
Reply to lealonnie1

Battery operated flameless candles with remote control. Was actually a request from a resident.
Reply to Rebecca1033

A little photo book; print pics off your phone and cut to fit the little 4x6 or 5x7 little books sold a rly drug stores or dollar stores. I just made one for my Dad with pics of family members, places he likes and it was a big hit. Helps as a memory aid, plus you LO can show it to other residents.
Reply to wendall
montanacmm 21 hours ago
This is a great idea. I am making one for my brother. I got a scrap book and glued the pictures on. Now I am writing a few sentences on each page about the photos - like names, places, activity that was taking place. I have bought him gifts for dementia patients and they always disappear. This year I decided to keep it very low financially. I am also making a fidget lap pad.
(1)
It's tough to come up with ideas, I know. I used to give people little baskets with various items like, crossword puzzle booklets, cards with stamps, so she can send cards to people, along with an address book. This might not work if she has vision issues or dementia. Also, photo album with pictures of family members. Take some of her too, to put inside the album. A digital frame will take up little space in the room and you can load it with many different pictures for her to see all day. My mom has a wall Christmas clock that plays a Christmas jingle on each hour. A nice, soft, warm throw is always good, even if she already has one. I like those with reindeer, snowmen, holly berries, etc. as they brighten the room for the holidays.
Reply to Sunnygirl1

A wheelchair blanket might be nice too. It ties to the frame of the wheelchair with tabs and either just wraps around the lower legs or has a band that can be used to keep the blanket completely around the legs and away from the chair's wheels. I have a light one for indoors and a heavier one for when my mother attends day care and is picked up by a wheelchair lift van.
Reply to TNtechie
msfits 21 hours ago
The photo blankets are nice. We got my Dad one last year with pictures of each kid and grandkid. Everybody at the rehab loved it (and they all knew who it belonged to). He uses it daily.
(0)
Plants are always nice. A warm afghan or quilt would be good because I have noticed that elderly get very cold very easily. Maybe some quarters for the vending machines or for the coffee shop. The veterans home-near where I live-They love to have some pocket change for the vending machines. They also love stuffed animals. A collage of family pictures can also be hung on their wall to give the room a warm feeling.
Reply to Anonymous1256