How do you get your parent to take a shower?

My Dad just recently moved in with us and for the life of me, I cant get him to take shower! any ideas??????

20

Answers

My dad still takes showers like he was in the military. I tell him he doesn't have to keep turning the water off and on!

metalman, id rather be dead than to take a shower but them va bi*ches are hot looking. i rinse off some mortar dust and rub a little dog

metalman, do you take scented bubble baths or what ?
its just -- METALman , " id rather die than to go three days without a shower " ..
something just aint right here..

this is too easy .
tell him he is not to take a shower, ever ..
go out and have a smoke and listen for the water to kick on ..

I'm still very lost, my dad is only like 64 that's not old. His brother my uncle told us he's always been like that. I'd rather be dead than go 3 days without a shower. It's like he simply likes to stink. It really sux when I go to dating a girl I met and the time comes when she wants to meet the family. Then I say no then she thinks I'm ashamed of her or something. She's not the one I'm ashamed of. Can anybody help.

I understand and have had issues with my mom. When mom was getting UTInfections, I used that as a good reason to bathe. I would remind mom that bathing helps the UTInfection. and then she wont have to take more medicine. And when mom was scratching and her scin was dry, I reminded her that bathing helped with the itching. I picked two days ( convenient for me) and it was easier after that. Also reminded her taking her bath when she was alone was not a good choice. Her judgement was not logical for safety. That's one of the reasons she is in LT NH . Mom does like bathing at the NH I have been told. Hope this helps.
Equinox

I haven't figured this one out yet either. Mom (87) hasn't had a bath or shower in the six weeks since I moved in to help out. Dad (85) says she washes up at the sink, but I have no sense of smell and can't tell if she stinks or not. I do know for a fact that she only changes her clothes once or twice a week, because I do their laundry. Her bathroom tub/shower is fully fitted out with a chair, safety rails, etc., but I cannot convince Dad to help her bathe, and she won't let me help her because she thinks I'm the downstairs maid.

Have you ever tried "waterless bath" products?? Used in hospital when lack of mobility made it impossible to get to bathrroom for shower. At home it sure beats fighting to get person into shower. Also, better than leaving soap on skin when it doesn't get completely washed off.

I read in a book that with the confusion level of dementia, the elderly person cannot remember what steps need to be taken to actually take a shower or bath. It is so confusing to them that it is easier for them to just not bathe. I believe that is what happened to my mom, plus I think she just plain forgot to and really believed she had. So once she was moved in with me I took over giving her showers, she sits in a chair if necessary. I don't believe they need as many showers as we do either, I only shower mom once a week unless she does something really strenuous and needs one. Her skin can get so dry and irritable if I shower her too often. Perhaps its just time to give him some help in that department...my mom got over her shyness really quickly...and it does help to throw in some humor! Good luck!

I tell my Mom (86 years, with alzheimer's) that she has a Doctor's appointment. Then I say, "You want to be clean when they check you, don't you?" This usually gets her in the shower.