I live in California and recently quit my job and sold my home and moved back in with my mother to look after her full time. Someone told me that I might be able to get paid to do this for my mom. I’ve searched the Medicare/Medicaid website but it’s all very confusing and trying to contact my local offices and getting a live body is almost impossible. Is there anyone out there who has gone through this process that can tell me what to do, how to fill forms out and what to expect regarding this process ?? Thank you in advance!

Don't do it. Your own social security is in jeopardy. Things will get much worse for you. Are you prepared for 24/7 care with not much sleep and threatening your own health. The government funds licensed people only a few hours each week if qualified. Mom has to pay you.

If you still want to do this then have a contract with your mom. Otherwise, when you show large payments to you, she may be disqualified from Medicaid if NH is needed. Do contact an eldercare lawyer to do this right
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to MACinCT

My answer would apply to Michigan which is more liberal than other states.

Once approved for Medicaid home services, a needs assessment is done. The client can pay their child, if not a POA (spouse and POA is ineligible) or have an agency come in for those hours. The patient is allowed to determine wage as long as it is reasonable. A fiduciary sends out new hire paperwork, employment manual, timesheets and a video on first aid and cpr the person must watch. The client gets a FEIN number and the fiduciary takes care of it all. The employee fills out timesheets, client signs and payment made. Michigan will pay up to 40 hours, no OT with an additional 20 for "respite". Respite is supposed to be time off but its actually doing the "informal care" ie. Medication.

Caution, before doing this understand any such payment is subject to Medicaid Estate recovery, as well as the monthly administrative fee and fiduciary fees. Social workers lie, recovery is real.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to tacy022
tacy022 Mar 28, 2019
I should add, I went through it. At the suggestion of the social worker my ex was paid for 10 hours a week and at that time aides were 30 hours a week for personal care and cleaning her living space. The money all went towards the clients needs.

We, actually I, had to do everything and when the timesheets were filled out, most of what was done was excluded as informal care.

As an "employee," the SW considers you such. I remember getting crap because I didnt consult the client on her menu, even though I paid personally for food, the client didnt contribute. When I was told she wanted pan seared petite steak with fresh basil, with a side of shrimp and parmasean stuffed mushrooms and a side salad with fresh cut parsley and dill, I kinda lost it. That was the end of that.

From experience, there is no way in hell I would do it again.
Contact an elder care lawyer in your state. Your pastor or rabbi is a good resource for trustworthy ones.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to sassy85

The vast majority of family caregivers are not paid anything to do this job.

some are lucky enough that they get paid by their parents,

in in some states there is a small stipend that can be had from the state welfare...but it is usually a very small amount (like covers 8 hours a week). Certainly, not enough to cover any bills much less live on.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to Katiekate

medicare does not pay family caregivers. The only way to get paid through Medicaid is if mom is eligible. The department of social services is the best place to seek that information. Keep in mind, the pay is minimum wage and most states will not pay you as a full time caregiver. They’ll pay for maybe 10-20 hours a week. If you are still in California, then google “in home support services” and the county you are in. IHSS pays family caregiver, again it’s minimum wage and a few hours.
Helpful Answer (1)
Reply to worriedinCali

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter