Mom fell and broke her shoulder. How do I get her in and out of bath tub?

Mom has Dementia and now last week she fell and broke her shoulder. I have been just using bath wipe to clean her but she needs a good bath. How can I get her in the tub. She has a bath sit and rails to hold on to but trying to get her in and out is my problem. Any suggestions

28

Answers

1 2 3
Wow. Sorry that posted twice. I'm using my ipad.

If your mom qualifies for hospice her doctor could refer her for a hospice evaluation... a nurse and a social worker will come out to your home and ask some questions. If they agree that she qualifies you will be set. They can equipped your house with everything and help with the hygeine care. Hospice is a Godsend. God bless!

If your mom qualifies for hospice the her doctor could refer her for a hospice evaluation....called and request it. If you have hospice a nurse and a social worker will come out to your home and ask some questions. If they agree that she qualifies you will be set. They can equipped your house with everything and help with the hygeine care. Hospice is a Godsend. God bless!

msdaizy, I am not sure what stage she is in or what kind of dementia she has. I was taking her for test, she took one that was to last for 2 hrs but she couldn't hold out but 1 hr. The day she broke her shoulder we were going back for the 2nd test. So now have to wait till she get better to go back for test.

Some of the equipement you can find online and have it shipped to your home. If you have Hospice they can order these things at no cost. Just tell them what you need. But if you were on Hospice care they also would set up CNA to come bath her for you. If your mom has dementia, which stage is she in?
When I was caring for mom with dementia she was in the last stages and we qualified for Hospice. They came to my home, I had a nurse visit once a week, a person for baths 2 times a week. And all the equipement and medical needs for mom. In the last month they brought in a medical bed with rails. It was a wonderful bunch of caregivers that listened and did what they could to help me. I would check with your doctor and ask him about Hospice if you haven't already.

Thank you 2tsnana. The day I found out she had broke her shoulder I went and bought her some short sleeve button up PJs. She stays in them most of the time anyhow. When I took her to her last 2 Ortho visits I just left her pj top and and put pants on her. I told her we don't care what ppl think. Easier then putting long sleeves on her.

Bless your heart.. Wipe downs are fine and maybe a really short hair cut so you do not have much hair to deal with the you could just wipe it down with a rag and rinse instead of washing everytime. It was my right too and it is scary cause it does really hurt. Button up and down shirts and they alway tolds me to put the bad arm in first. Good Luck and you have my thoughts and prayer

The Home Health nurse and PT come out but that is all the help I have. Being her right shoulder it is hard for her to do anything being right handed. I think she is scared of falling again because when I did try to get her in the shower she acted like she was scared so I didn't make her. I have a bench and hand held shower she used before she got hurt. I also bought her a raised toilet seat because she was scared to sit on the toilet because so low.

Is she eligible for Home Health Care. You need some help ;-(

A shower bench and a hand held shower head works great. If you call your local Senior Center that might have a shower seat that someone has donated. I had my right shoulder and arm broken in a motorcycle accident (hit by a drunk driver) It is very painful and I slept sitting in a recliner for about 8 weeks. Bless both of your hearts.

1 2 3