How to get urine odor out of Mom's panties?

Mom's incontinent.

33

Answers

1 2 3 4
But whatever you use, make sure it's safe for humans and rinse panties thoroughly.

Oh, thanks, ramiller! How about trying a product that you would use to get cat urine out? Cat urine is insidious! Find a product at the pet store.

Oh no dont dry clean, sorry to disagree but after working at a dry cleaners several years ago I learned odors become more set by the dry cleaning process so please avoid that.

Borax should help, so will baking soda and peroxide. I also sprinkle Desenex antifungal powder on the undergarments, it seems to prevent the urine from turning rapidly into ammonia.

Agree with cloud, start with small load few items with one idea see how works before doing big load.

One more idea: The most stingy clothes could be taken to the dry cleaners.

Sounds like a great plan. Also since she wears a cath bag make sure she is rinsing it with warm water mixed with vinager. I had a client who wore one and that is how we cleaned it every night when he changed from day to night bag. Never had odor problem. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the help! She shares the w/d with my brother's family....and I know she buys her own detergent and stuff...and she is one to "cook" wet clothes, not dry them. Luckily, she is as regular as clockwork about her routine and Mondays is always wash day. I will do what I can. She's planning a surgery soon (lady loves her a good surgery!) and during the 8 weeks she'll be in a rehab facility, I bet I can wash all her stuff.

Midkid58, If her clothes have been washed and DRYED several times the drying van set the smell so it becomes a biggger challange. I dont think detergent alone will work at this point. Get white vinegar and add a cup to wash let it soak for 1 hour before completing wash cycle. Let us know if that works. I will also ask my daughter and get back to you, she deals with vintage clothing and has learned alot about cleaning clothes with set in odor. I'll see if she has any ideas. Let hope for best!

You can also buy her several boxes of the good detergent. You get away with it by telling her they were on sale and you couldn't resist.

1 2 3 4