My neighbor has made me power of attorney over her health and money issues. She has dementia and can not drive anymore so I do everything for her from giving her baths, cooking, dr. Visits, laundry and anything else that needs to be done. She has just one brother in another state that is 82 and she is 85, but he doesn't want anything to do with her. Is there a way that I could get paid for doing these services for her? She refuses anyone else in her home nor is she willing to leave her home to live somewhere else. Thanks for any advice I can receive. We live in Florida.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
And if she predeceases her brother, does her will leave everything to him? If your free help keeps her estate intact for him or his heirs to inherit, that doesn't seem fair, does it?

Sounds like you spend most of your day taking care of your neighbor.
Helpful Answer (2)

Well, the most obvious source of payment would be your neighbor lady. Can she afford to? As POA I imagine you know about her bank accounts.

If she is indigent, she can apply for Medicaid, which does have programs to pay for appropriate in-home care. In fact, unless she has funds it would be a good idea to get her started down this path. Most people with dementia reach a point where they cannot live alone, even with a lot of help. If she gets on Medicaid now she may get help in her home (including paying you) and when it becomes necessary, in a nursing home or memory care unit.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter