I now live with my mom who is showing signs of dementia, sever arthritis, and other issues that go along with aging. I had plans of moving on but I feel I can't leave her alone as she seems to be deteriorating. Is there a way I can get compensated for my time now that I have to be here almost 24/7?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Joann, ah yes the elder who is in denial that they need help. Our elders want to hang onto all the independence they can get, even if it means poor choices on their part. And having dementia only speeds up those poor choices.

What ever you do, try not to quit your jobs. Like you said, it is your sanity. I know exactly what you mean. And you need to fund your own retirement.

It be nice if everyone who is home caring for their parents/grandparents/aunts/ uncles/spouse/ sibling/child could get paid for the time they put in.... but sadly that alone would bankrupt the States and the Federal government within months. So we do what we can.

If your Mom is social, check to see if there is an elder day care that she could enjoy. That way you know she is in safe hands while you are at work.
Helpful Answer (1)

Thank you for your advice. I will check into your suggestions. But here is the thing, I am a caregiver. I have 2 clients & I work park time as a cashier at a local market for a bit of sanity.
I can't afford to quit any of these jobs without getting some financial aid.
I live here free so she would not consider paying me. Also she does not think she needs my help.Which I know this is part of her illness.
Helpful Answer (0)

That’s a very common question asking about being paid. Majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own pocket. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver allowing you to keep a full-time job.

If you live in the States, see If your parent qualifies for Medicaid, the State might allow a trained Caregiver come in to help for a couple hours. Also check to see if your State is one of those States that has a “Cash and Counseling” program to help you out, it‘s worth looking into. Note that each State has their own rules, regulations, and programs.

Also contact your county agency on aging for programs such as Case Management, Meals on Wheels, Adult Day Care, housing, care referrals, etc,... go to the website link below.... click on your State.... now click on the city/county.

And please come back to the forums if you have any Caregiving questions, we would be more than happy to share our experiences with you, and give you ideas on what to do.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter