My friend will be 81 in 8 short days. I, along with another person, helped move her from her dilipated house into low income senior housing. She has a tiny SS check each month that will pay her new housing. She is now safer and there are residents there that visit. This is the upside.
The downside is this:
1) Her old house is chock full as her and her parents saved everything that they had ever gotten. To qualify for the low income senior housing her house had to be put on the market. Real estate people say that can't show it until it is cleaned out. I had started cleaning it out with her approval but she wants to hang onto everything in it. She also wants to give quite a few items to family members who seem unwilling to accept them. We are at a standstill on this matter. The house has been closed for the winter and I am afraid that her beloved stuff is going to become damaged from lack of heat, at least the furniture, books and paper goods.
2) She is not paying her currents bills unless I sit down with her and do it. I found two last week that were close to being overdue. She cannot afford, for safety's sake, to have her telephone service shut down.
3) She has a savings account that she refuses to spend down to qualify for Medicaid. She will be needing the Medicaid as assisted living does not look too far off. She keep saying that it's her cushion for later; I keep telling her that later is now. She also wants to leave this money to cousins, which is admirable but assisted living will take all of her savings anyway before she's eligible for Medicaid help. I do not think she fully understands this.
4) I have noticed a lot lately that she is repeating the same things over and over about events and situations that we have already taken care of such as donating some of her items (only 2 boxes) to a local thrift shop - she forgets that I have already done that and keeps telling me to give them to assorted people. I have stopped telling her that those are already gone so as not to cause anxiety. She can remember where every Urging in her house is but cannot remember instructions on how to use her phone, for example.
5) She has no POA, no medical instructions in case of emergency nor has she had a will done. I have brought this up with her as I worry about her but to no avail.
What can be done about any of this, if anything can be done at all?