My mother has no assets. She receives less than $1,500 per month SS. I haven't worked for I am her sole caregiver. I am one who has never has asked for assistance but need help.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Jim, if 1980 is your birth year, you do need to be out in the workforce making a living for yourself. You can't just not do it because you're taking care of a parent. If you don't have a job, you won't have money now or in the future, particularly given that there will be no inheritance.

Imagine the shoes were on the other feet. Would you want your mother to face a life of poverty to care for you? I'm sure you wouldn't. Talk to someone about daycare for your mother so that you can work. Larger cities have many adult daycare programs. Some are very reasonable and you may be able to get state aid for them so you can work.

Unfortunately, there is very little opportunity to make money as a family caregiver. And even if you found some funding, it would not be as much as you need. Be sure to tend to your own needs as you tend to your mother's. You can't live without money and you will need social security for your retirement. There are options out there for you if you'll look around.
Helpful Answer (3)

Jim, I'm sorry for the position you find yourself in. Here are a few suggestions.

Does your mother have any kind of caseworker? Ask him or her for programs that might help. Ask her doctor or the local hospital if they have a social worker.

Sometimes Medicaid will pay a child to care for a parent. I can't remember the exact name, but here's a link.

It sounds like you would qualify for Food Stamps, at the least. Don't be ashamed to apply for them. You are saving the government money by keeping Mom out of a nursing home.

Contact your local Area Agency on Aging for ideas and referrals. Best of luck to you.
Helpful Answer (3)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter