Follow
Share

This last time it was excessive sweating and chills over a period of three days. Has anyone else experienced this?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I wouldn't think an allergic reaction would last for three days after leaving the place with the allergan. I'd be looking more for emotional reactions to the visit...but I don't have allergies, so maybe my logic is faulty. :)
Helpful Answer (0)
Report

If it is an allergy, check with your doctor about taking a small dosage of anti-histamine an hour prior to seeing your Mom.... I find I have to do that whenever I go shopping because of odors in the stores, and I found for myself just one children's Claritin [grape flavor] pill does the trick. Again, check with your doctor.
Helpful Answer (0)
Report

an environment can be deemed toxic just due to the high strung and emotionally charged atmosphere. stressful for sure.
Helpful Answer (0)
Report

i think stress alone can make a person ill as hell. aunt edna spent a couple days with great g - kids last week and she was incoherant for a couple days afterward just from the emotional fatigue of it all. i thought she was failing it was so bad but she was just mentally exhausted. came right out of it with a couple days rest thankfully.
i got so stressed at times caregiving that a muscle in the back of my neck would start hammering. i was coping and calm but the duress was real and it was physical. i hope the usa is on track to be a leader in home care solutions . we see the needs and are innovative enough to rise to the occasion. good luck to us , very trying times with big stakes. and the requiments changing hourly.
Helpful Answer (2)
Report

If you are like this everytime you go you are probably allergic to something in the building like the strong chemicals they use for cleaning. If it is a very old building heaven forbid there is mold or asbestos. Are you a non smoker and it is permitted in the building that could do it. is your Mom OK?
Helpful Answer (0)
Report

They're overheated, under ventilated, usually too dry and teeming with chemical fumes and bugs. And that's not counting the sense of claustrophobia, the mental energy expended on concentrating on the person you're visiting, or the fact that if there is a germ doing the rounds locally you've just been lying face down on a Petri dish of it. I don't remember coming out of any facility or NH with what I'd call a spring in my step, but my goodness it always feels better to be out in the fresh air again.

A brisk walk before you go in. Wear layers so that you can strip down while you're visiting, and take a bottle of mineral water with you. A brisker walk once you come out again, before you get back in your car. And for heaven's sake don't go if you know you're already coming down with something: you'll be doing nobody any favours.

If you find you're seriously ill after a visit, get yourself checked out. I don't want to be alarmist, but in an enclosed, air-conditioned, potentially "sick" building there is always the faint possibility of something really exciting like Legionnaires' Disease. God forbid. But there's no need to start imagining things: if you were that ill, you'd know.
Helpful Answer (2)
Report

I get stomachaches sometimes.... after being with her too long. And sometimes when I go into her house which is PACKED with 'stuff' from her purchases, I get claustrophobic (and I am not a claustrophobic type).... I think some of it could be pyscho-sematic... (sorry about the spelling) and/or also maybe there are germs you're picking up there; like when someone goes into a hospital and catches something. Your immunity might be low due to stress...
Helpful Answer (1)
Report

You picked up a virus. Wash your hands wash your hands wash your hands.
Helpful Answer (2)
Report

I agree that emotions can be a lot of it but I am wondering also if you are allergic to something there. My friend's mom and my mother are both in the same AL center and last month they installed some kind of automatic air freshener. My friend was sick for several days after that. She couldn't even go back there until they turned those off.
Also, I don't know about you but my mother always seems to have her room up to about 110 degrees when I visit! Hope you feel better!
Helpful Answer (3)
Report

Emotions can affect your immune system and communal living environments can be high in germs. Try emmergen-c.
Helpful Answer (1)
Report

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.