Father-in-law's name is spelled two different ways. Will the legal documents be valid?

Asked by

My FIL's name is spelled one way on his birth certificate and a different way on his social security card. When they did their POA and wills prepared it is spelled to match his birth certificate. But everything else he has such as DL, bank accounts is what shows on his SS card. I am their POA as well as their executor and beneficiary. They have added me to their bank accounts already. My question is, once they pass will their will be valid since spelling of names are different? He now has dementia and she has had a stroke but they are both still able to understand most things if we keep it in simple terms.

Answers 1 to 10 of 14
How "different" are the two names? An "en" in Olsen as opposed to an "on" as in Olson would probably not be a big deal.

If the names as quite dissimilar, you may need to get the advice of an attorney who can help you. If the birth dates line up as being the same, that's going to help. Do this soon, if FIL is failing mentally, he'd need to be able to sign his own name the "correct" way.

A piece of advice was handed to me 40+ years ago. Decide what your LEGAL name is going to be, get your SS card and ALL id's in that name always. This affects women who take their husband's names more than anyone else, I'd imagine. This has saved me a lot of hassles over the years!
Jkrystal, while recently doing my family tree I had noticed many relatives when they came over from the old country had changed their given names, both first names and last names to make the names sound more "American".

On Ancestry I found one piece of Federal paperwork that showed where my Grandmother had changed her first name over to a new first name. But I didn't find any legal paperwork where Grandmother and my Grandfather changed the spelling of their last name.  I am still digging for the family tree.

I never saw my Grandparent's Wills or family trusts, I assume it probably mentioned the name changes.
On my husband's birthday certificate an "n" was left out and not corrected. His SS card has the correct spelling. He was able to get a passport with no problem. Since I have had to deal with Mom's stuff, I have answered questions about if she is known by different spellings. On probate I had to show the differences. I don't think it's a big deal. My name has a space but I find that if I use the space on computer generated forms, they think Jo is my first name and Ann my middle so I stopped using the space.
The Army had two different birthdates for my father...
Their is Denman or Denmon it's not a big difference. Thanks for the responses!!
I have a first name as 2 words and no middle name so sometimes only half of my first name is printed. I worry but never encountered problems. There are frequent spaces for alias to be put in applications. One cruise line cannot correct an error and if they did I would lose all of my frequent travel data so I just wait. The only thing I do know is that my TSA pre check has to match my passport but it is not necessary for my drivers license. So from previous posts it is a nuisance but not insurmountable
On a whim at 14, I decided to change the spelling of my first name which ended in "y" to "i". It doesn’t match my birth certificate but I have no issues with it. It’s on all my legal records, passport, SS, etc. the only place it had to match was my DL but they let me sign my name with an i. His is so close, I wouldn’t worry either.
Yes, it will all still be legal.
My DH is Ray everywhere except at the VA where he is Houston. Apparently this is very common as around here most if not all go by their middle names instead of their given - don't ask me, I have no idea why.
But the government insists on using the first name and this created a little situation with filling prescriptions at Walmart - so now they just list both names.
But legally, either way is still valid.
My mother had different birthdates (one day off) on some of her important documents (insurance card, drivers license, etc.) and it did turn out to b a big deal as the hospital asked me to change it to the correct date or they would not process claims. The State would not issue a fishing license until the documents were changed and I had difficulty at the pharmacy getting her medicines. Then I noticed the wrong birthdate on her will. I brought this to the lawyer's attention and although I offered to pay to change it, she changed the document for free.Subsequently, I changed all of the documents to have the correct birthdate. I would get all of the documents with the same spelling of the name. In today's age of so much suspected fraud, you can't be too careful. It is better to be pro-active now even though it is time-consuming and tedious rather than to regret something later.
Top Answer
The best plan is to NOW make a notarized declaration stating the use of both names - include where he used each name but make a statement saying that the list is not full so that if something else shows it is not restricted to the list - if possible use lawyer who made the will as [s]he will have a vested interest in having this issue cleaned up - if possible have FIL do this or any family member or even yourself

By doing it now not when an issue arises then you are covered - if FIL is capable that would be best - cost should be minimum but peace of mind priceless

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support