We are two siblings caring for our Dad in Florida. We would like advice on both the base fee per year that is fair, and hourly for any "over and above" efforts/time. He has been in an ALF for 3 years, but we take care of his legal/medical affairs, visit several times a week, etc. and remain very involved. We've also been forced to remain local even though we both had compelling reasons to move. We have made many sacrifices over the years but never taken a penny. Other siblings have done absolutely zero (other than attempt to exploit and profit from him) but stand to receive exactly the same thing from his will, when that time comes. Also, are there any special forms or agreements that need to be in place? Thank you.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
You should consult an attorney, but in general....Reasonable compensation for taking care of your Father during the time he is in Assisted Living vary from state to state, ranging from $25 per hour at a minimum to over $100 per hour. If one of you is the legal guardian for your Father, then you would also be entitled to a statutory fee in most states, a minimum of $1000 or so per month but usually more. Of course, this presupposes that your Father has funds available to pay fees. For Estates less than $100,000, often the Fee is reduced. If one of you has not yet been appointed guardian, once that appointment is made, in most states the Court can and generally will go back and award you reasonable compensation for your time and responsibilities undertaken before you became legal guardian. This is especially true if the person seeking appointment as legal guardian did not have the aid and assistance of the Ward's (in this case, your Father) other children. Consult a guardianship attorney in your state. This is not meant to be legal advice for your particular situation.
Helpful Answer (1)

You probably need to consult an attorney who specializes in elder law.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter