Been a caregiver to husband for 10 years. Have not had one day off. Would like to take Alzheimer spouse to an assisted living facility so I could do volunteer work at our church fish fry from 10am to 7pm on Fridays. Called every assisted living home, care center in Western Pittsburgh, Pa one can help me. I can't even get him on a waiting list. Was told it would be meaningless to do so as the wait time could be over 2 years! It would be great if I could find a place that would keep him overnight. Willing to pay whatever the charge would be. I am so sad and depressed. Husband is mobile; can feed himself, shower, etc. He just cannot be left alone for very long. Thank you for any suggestions. Just don't want to spend another year like the last ten--isolated, lonely without a sense of self-worth.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Pennsylvania has several medicaid waivers including:
Consolidated Waiver;
Person / Family Directed Support;
Attendant Care;
HCBW for Individuals Aged 60 and Over;
Medicaid Waiver for Infants, Toddlers and Families;
Adult Autism;

What state department handles the Medicaid waiver program in Pennsylvania? In Pennsylvania, the Department of Public Welfare administers multiple Medical Assistance/Medicaid waivers. Each waiver has its own unique set of eligibility requirements and services.

What programs assist people who have disabilities in Pennsylvania? The following programs assist persons with disabilities in Pennsylvania: The Autism Waiver; Person/Family Directed Support (PFDS) Waiver; Independence Waiver; and Attendant Care Waiver. The Person/Family Directed Support (PFDS) Waiver serves people with intellectual disabilities. The Independence Waiver; and Attendant Care Waivers serve people who have physical disabilities. If a person is determined eligible for more than one HCBS program, the person cannot receive services under two or more such programs at the same time. The person must choose one HCBS program and receive the services provided by it.

What is the best number to call to get started? To learn more about programs that assist persons with disabilities call the Department of Public Welfare (DPW) HelpLine at 1-800-692-7462. You can also contact Maximus for enrollment information at 1 877-550-427.

Is there a website?
Helpful Answer (0)

I had caregivers from an agency come in for 4 hours a day for my mother, not nearly enough, but it was something. Quite expensive, I used her savings, spending down until she qualified for Medicaid. My friend works 'under the table' sitting with an elderly couple for $10 an hour, she has had home health aide training but that is not needed as they are mobile and alert, just need supervision in case of a fall, and medications. She says there are many volunteers at a big church, or who will work for a reduced hourly rate, to do similar things. (There are also a lot of ads on Craigslist, but I would be leery of those.) My mother's church is very small and people work, but even there they sent Sunday visitors and someone who would run errands or take her to the store once a week. So you might contact a church, it can't hurt to ask for some help.
Helpful Answer (0)

Grammy, most respite care situations are for longer than a day. Perhaps you can look into adult day care for your husband. Alternatively, since you seem to be quite involved in your faith community, perhaps someone from the church can help out. My faith community has volunteers that will run errands, do shopping or visit for respite (though I'm not sure for a full day).

You might also ask one of the home health agencies if they can arrange for care to meet your needs. They typically charge by the hour. Finally, call the schools of nursing in your area. You may find a student that would like to make some extra money. If you choose this route, I would bring the candidate you select in separately and have him/her shadow you for an hour or two to specify your husband's needs.

Frankly, I don't know how you have done this by yourself for 10 years. Have you considered placing him in a facility near you where he will be well cared for and you can be the daily visitor?
Helpful Answer (1)

If you have Hospice, you can get a week of respite, maybe even a month. But for just one day, try a home health care agency.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter