Why is my mother refusing her medications?

For a few months now, My mom with dementia has been reluctant to take her meds, It started out with her just not taking them once in a while, but lately, since I have been staying with her at med time to make sure takes them, she has started to outright argue with me. This is not ike her, she is usually very cooperative about everything. I keep hoping it's just a temporary thing and that she will forget it one day and go back to taking them without a thought but it's going on for too long and I need to find a way to make her take them.
Any Ideas?

16

Answers

Thanks!

Check out this new article on "6 reasons why elders don't take their meds...and what you can do about it." Hope it helps!
https://www.agingcare.com/146111

Mom used to eat sweets ALL the time. That stopped, like everything else, after the big TIA. I'll keep an eye out for it but so far no change in appetite either, If anything, she's been eating a lot better these past few months.

forgot to say that as Alz, patients get to the last stages, they only want sweets. Many times to get Ruth to do certain things, I would tell her I would fix her a little bowl of m&m's and pretzels. She would rather eat sweets than a real meal. Of course she got a real meal anyway. But the jelly thing is so they will take meds and enjoy the sweets.

don't feel bad asg , I started to suggest the "cow thing" this morning. so at least it was you and not me that made someone pee their pants...
And Ted remember, You HAVE TO SHARE WITH MAMA, ok? ok.

ASG! i think your on to something! JELLO SHOTS!

Ted you know when I was growing up on the farm we had this gadget, for giving calves there meds, you put the pill in, hold there mouth open and shove in down the throat........just kidding, how many people peed thir pants just now thinking I was suggesting that lol. Sorry I'm in strange mood today. In the nh,in the alz. Unit, med aids would use those little square jelly things, like you get at resturants. Put the pill in it and give it to them with a spoon. Not sure what the difference was between this and applesauce but the alz. Unit is the only place I seen them do this. Couldn't hurt to try. There are some other really good suggestions on here.

No other odd behaivors, I'll look into the UTI idea Thanks my friends!

Hey Ted--have any other behaviors changed? Any other items in her daily schedule that are off? Just wondering... what about the dreaded UTI?

And of course you ran after the dog & brought it home? Born Free? Sorry, it's not funny...I've been "Jumping through the Hoops" for many years. All for the amusement of the Queen. I don't think they realize how exasperating it can be. Well, maybe mine does.