Dr. wants to prescribe my mom with MS methadone for her pain. Any advice?

My mom has MS and fractured her hip 3 years ago (bone is basically dissolved now), is in a nursing home, and the last two years has been in a lot of pain. For about a year, all her old Dr would do was give her a fentanyl patch, Norco and neurotin for pain. She now has a new Dr who wants to try new things. The Dr has put her on Cymbalta and removed one of three doses of Neurotin (it made my mom very confused) and she just swapped the Norco for oxycodone. So now my mom has the fentanyl patch, cymbalta, oxycodone and afternoon and evening dose of neurotin. Her pain is finally manageable now, but now she’s very forgetful. This week the Dr wants to up cymbalta to 30mg and in a few weeks swap oxycodone with methadone. I’ve read horror stories as well as wonderful stories of methadone. I’m honestly a little nervous of her on this and if future Drs will keep allowing her to take it and withdrawals if she ever needs to go off. Does anyone have experience with this and can offer me advice or should I put my trust in the Dr?

A little of my mom’s background is about 1 1/2 years ago my moms old nurse practitioner almost killed my mom with a new mix and increase of meds she gave her so I have been very cautious about everything. Something needs to be done and this new Dr seems very knowledgeable and wants to help. It’s hard for me to trust and I just want what’s best for my mom.

16

Answers

I've had 4 back surgeries and have had chronic pain in my legs and back for years. At one point I was given methadone for pain. I moved to Washington state from Nevada and my new doctor stopped prescribing it for me cold turkey. I went through horrible withdrawals for about a week. Methadone worked great for my pain. It was the sudden stop that was the problem for me. It did cause quite a bit of drowsiness as well. My moms pain management doctor won't prescribe it for her because it could cause respitory failure and she already has had respiratory failure several times. I've never heard it prescribed along with fentanyl but I'm not a doctor. Those are two very powerful drugs. Just use caution if she does take it.
Reply to AndreaE
Jasmina Aug 11, 2018
I'm sorry you had to go thru that hell. That doc should be reported! 1st do no harm. He treated you like a druggy addict looking for a high.
He should have said I won't prescribe that, but you can go -to this doc, or here etc to get off of it. I recommend this drug for your pain.
He shouldn't have let you go off of it cold turkey. That could be dangerous! You didn't have to suffer like that. I just looked it up and it said that you shouldn't do it alone, but under doc supervision, Going cold turkey makes symptoms worse. The drug can stay in your body for a few weeks, and 1 dose can stay in your body up to a day later. Other drugs can be prescribed to ease withdrawal symptoms.
Find another doc bc this guy doesn't care for his patients. I'd still report him. You were on the med for legit reasons. And find a caring doc.
The web site didn't say much about prescribing it for pain. Perhaps there,are better drugs now than when it was 1st introduced back in the 70s.
(0)
Hospice put my Mom on Methadone for back pain. It worked well. After she broke her other hip and went into a NH the doctor there took her off it, although she was in a lot of pain without it. It also helped her picking disorder, as once off it she started picking again. When she went back on hospice care they put her back on it, she was on a low dose , and it helped with the the pain and the picking. It really helped my Mom, made her pain bearable. Good luck with your Mom I have been there?
Reply to Cbp711

Why methadone? That is typically used for someone who is addicted due to substance abuse.
Reply to Llamalover47

How about checking with your pharmacist? Perhaps they can give some input. I would go in when they are not busy.
I'm also wondering do docs prescribe the new wonder drug marijuana? In patch, pill form or some type that the high has been taken out. I hear that does wonders. Maybe that is too new. Unless you bought the card and have access to the shops that sell it. Perhaps our nursing homes are behind the times with that.
Reply to Jasmina
SKGCarepartner Aug 9, 2018
Hi Jasmina! I have tried everything. Some drugs work for a few years, then stop. Some didn't work at all. Some stopped working and then, after a few years doing something else, started working again. My doctor now gives me a prescription for 30 Oxycodone, just so I know there is something that will help if nothing else does and it becomes unbearable. This happens so rarely that I still have plenty left of the script she gave me three years ago. It's kind of just a security blanket. But she knows me well enough to know that I wouldn't abuse it, and I bring the bottle in every once in a while to show her that I'm still good.
(0)
As others have said, everyone reacts differently to every drug. Prescribers need to be watchful and prepared to re-think their care plans if the results aren't satisfactory. You've gotten a lot of good information about methadone. I would just add that, for me, it was not a good fit. Back in the days when doctors were told that narcotics were safe, if potentially addictive, they gave them out indiscriminately. I've suffered from migraines since I was 5 --maybe even younger. My doctor had given me percodan to use as needed. But then she suggested we try methadone because it would keep me on an even medication level --no dips and rises that can trigger rebound. She was a wonderful doctor and I trusted her implicitly. Unfortunately, she was wrong about this drug for me. I suffered from hot flashes, difficulty urinating, and I became chemically dependent (the term the medical profession uses to differentiate between patients' dependency on a drug and people who use it just to get high). It's true, having quit cigarettes and seeing friends go off alcohol and/or narcotics, I'd say methadone is right up there as a highly difficult drug to quit --which I did myself, on my own. It is possible and reasonable, however, to wean patients off it slowly and, even when they are down to what are supposedly "sub-therapeutic doses" patients can still get good doctors to prescribe syrups with a tiny bit of methadone in it to get past that final push. Depending on your mother's age and life expectancy, this might not really be important anyway.

I've been caring for my husband, who is in pain 24/7, for the last dozen years. You both have my sympathy and warm hopes that this new concoction will really help.
Reply to SKGCarepartner
Jasmina Aug 9, 2018
This is kinda off topic but I suffer from migraines too. I was told docs would never prescribe the meds you are given for migraines. There are pills, nose sprays, and self administered shots that can be taken for migraines. I was shocked to read you were prescribed those.
I have been quizzed when going to new docs. They want to make sure I'm not a druggie looking for pain meds.
Of course this is my experience. I'm just so surprised you were given those meds. Perhaps botox for migraines would work for you? I've been tempted, but I don't have 15-20 a month. Hope that med works for you. Mine doesn't always work. Good luck.
(1)
Every chronic pain patient has different needs. What works for one may not work for another. What one kid abuses may be a lifesaver to someone in pain. I would think that your doctor has thoroughly thought through your Mother’s history and thinks this is the best option. Ask him to start at a low dose to see how it goes. He can always titrate it up if needed. Your Mom deserves to be as free from pain as possible, by whichever drug gets her there.
Reply to BeckyT

Ebeach:

There are alternatives to drugs or alternatives that can help to reduce a high dose of prescription pain drugs to a safer level.

Here is a link to an article from AARP that discusses this issue:

aarp.org/health/alternative-medicine/info-11-2008/drug_free_remedies_chronic_pain.html

From the link: “While acute pain appears in areas of the brain that are connected to tissue damage, chronic pain lives in other areas of the brain—the prefrontal cortex and limbic system, which the brain uses for memories, especially emotional ones,” Rossman says. In some cases “the pain lives on long past the time when the body tissues have healed.”
Reply to Heather10

I am in the exact same position this week. Mom is on Fentynol 100 mcg and Ocycontine 10mg. Last week, they introduced her to 5 mg of methadone. It was horrible and we are now taking her off. She slept constantly and when she was awake, she was delusional. She may have appeared to be lucid, but she was not. (At one point she was talking about my sister.... I do not have any sisters. I believe she thought I was her sister.) She also had more pain than before and a loss of strenth. After 8 days, hospice decided she may have "adverse" side effects and took her off. I flushed all of the remaining pills last night to get them out of the house!

If you choose to try methadone, start with a very small dose like 5 mg. The pharmacy may not carry it and may have to order it. Watch her for a few days and make your decision. Keep in close contact with the doctors about anything you notice. Your mother may be fine, but it is well worth keeping a close eye on things.
Reply to anonymous818174

It's NEVER wrong to question any medications or to question the attending physician!
Reply to RayLinStephens

No one should be in constant pain for the type of condition your mother has. The prognosis for recovery isn’t very hopeful. If she’s in her sixties you position is understandable. If she’s in her eighties it seems excessive. Either way, she should be free from pain.
Reply to Susanonlyone