BarbF Asked October 2008

Dr. Rob, Psychic, says my elderly mom must pay $ ?

I have assumed the role of "Bill Payer" for my parents and have discovered that a "Dr. Rob, Psychic Medium/Spiritual Advisor" is sending my mom letters stating that she owes him money for guidance.

I wrote to him, stating that my mom was on a fixed income and her husband was in the hospital and she was immediately canceling her subscription to him (evidently she has paid him hundreds of dollars). But recent billings from him make no mention of her previous request for cancellation, only stating that she owes him more money.

My mom is 84 years old, nearly blind in one eye, sight is compromised in the other eye, and she can barely walk.

I thought that there was legislation in place to protect the elderly from contracts such as this--although my mom has no recollection of entering into a contract with him in the first place.

I've tried Googling various sentences to see if I can get a hit on any such legislation, but I can't find any.

Do any of you know about this?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Barb F

29

Answers

1 3
rafjohndom May 2012
My mother-in-law keeps receiving sweepstakes that look like she needs to send money (and she does), She also has been getting requests for donations from various charities that all seem to come from the same clearing house company. I can't believe how many charities are out there. She gets constant mail from Notch Victims/political organizations saying they are doing something for her and requesting donations. The newest is from psychics, religious organizations, and also mail from other countries. I finally found one "sweepstakes" that I think I can prove is fraudulent and I am going to contact the attorney general's office of my state. She also gets phone calls from various organizations and sweepstakes and I told her to tell them (if she remembers), "her attorney will be in touch with them". All this is so time consuming. I think this type of mail is what's keeping the post office in business and that's why they won't do anything about it. I appreciate some of the suggestions on this forum.

BarbF Oct 2010
Hi Folks! Having been through the Dr. Rob nightmare myself, please let me urge all of you not to throw his mail away or write Fraud on it and return it. That's not going to stop him--he'll just keep on doing what he's doing.

Instead, notify the Better Business Bureau. If they get enough complaints about him, they'll shut him down.

Before you notify the Better Business Bureau, Google "Dr. Robb", including Dr. Robb's address. In my search, I discovered that "my" Dr. Robb was operating out of Delaware so I filed my complaint with the Delaware Better Business Bureau. I'm thinking that if you live somewhere else, especially outside of the United States, he just might have business licenses in places other than Delaware--which will hopefully be revealed when you do a Google search of his name and address.

Let's get this evil, preying quack put out of business for good so he can't harm any else's life. If he isn't reported to authorities, that can't happen.

The same applies for anyone or any "company" preying on our loved ones.

Declare war on them!

Good luck to you all!

Barb F

BarbF Oct 2010
Hi naheaton! I originally posted the following answer on April 16, 2010. I'm going to copy it and paste it below, just in case you're not able to go back that far through the threads of the original question.

I hope you're not going through the same problem I did, but if you are, try doing what I did and you'll probably be rid of him.

Good luck to you! And now, here's my answer from April 16th:

Hi Folks--First let me apologize if my post appears once as a partial post and now as a complete one. I stopped in the middle of typing the first one to check old emails for verification of what I had written and when I tried to come back to my post, it was gone. I don't know if it cleared itself or posted.

In any case, what I was trying to let you all know was that #1 I'm sorry for not following up and letting everyone know how things turned out.

#2--what I did was follow the advice of one of the responders--I contacted the Better Business Bureau of Delaware and filed an online complaint--it's completely free of charge.

I don't remember all of the details because it was quite awhile ago, but I do remember typing in the exact text of Dr. Rob's "threatening" collection letter on the complaint form so they'd know exactly how emotionally threatening his words were.

In response to my filing, I received emails from the BBB of Delaware--letting me know they'd received my complaint; that they'd investigate; what their findings were.

At the conclusion of their investigation, Dr. Rob agreed to stop sending collection letters to my mom, to stop writing to her altogether. He did send one last letter to her stating something along the lines of "I'm sorry to see our association come to an end...you will not be receiving any further bills from me...etc. "

Thankfully, he did keep his word--no more letters, no more bills.

My mom was completely shocked when I told her how many other individuals were being swindled by him. She had actually become afraid to stop paying him; I guess because she was fearful that he just might have some power to make her life fall apart or be "hexed" if he got mad at her.

One thing I learned through this was that if I took the time to print out the research I had discovered--in this case, that was the comments made by all of you--it carried a LOT more weight than if I just told her about them.

Now I calmly ask her to let me research an entity before she sends money to them--I don't chastise her or make her feel foolish for thinking she should send them money. I just tell her, "Mom, let me check them out on the Internet and I'll print out what I find so you can look it over and decide."

That approach is working so much better than my previous approach--"MOM...you paid WHO to do WHAT!!!! They're crooks! Why did you send them money?!!!!"

Even though I just turned 60, I'm still learning and still realizing that the two very important gifts I can give my mom are dignity and respect. And raising my voice or speaking to her like she's my daughter--and a foolish daughter at that--instead of my mother isn't showing her dignity or respect.

But I still must admit that I hope individuals like Dr. Rob who prey on the fears of others and those who take advantage of people burn in hell for their actions.

Thanks so much for all your support.

Barb

NancyH Oct 2010
The original post was Oct of 2008. Does anyone know what ever happened with the whole psychic thing?

Stingray Oct 2010
These type letters can become an addiction to the Elderly to the point they actually believe it is a personal correspondence. My 83 year old Mom is now bombarded with 5 - 10 scam psychic mails per day (most from Netherlands) and reads them all. One psychic scammer had her believing that someone in the family was trying to kill her and she better send money for protection. All I can do is try and get to the mail before her and sort them out.

inhym3 Jun 2010
Im so sorry for your loss - You might put "Fraud Mail" all over the letters then send them back. - God Bless You - sorry you have to go through all this now.

I am unsure if we are talking about the same Dr Rob, we also have one in Canada, Georgetown, and he sounds exactly like you say, my mom passed away in November of 2009, I had stopped his "person books" that see into the future, he proclaims to be the best, well he is still sending paperwork to our house cause we had her mail forwarded here, if he's that good then he should know she is gone.........plus yes I also had the same problems trying to cancel her bil also and I was her power of attorney, sent several cancelation notices to him to have him stop...... but he continued to send his crap, finally I put return to sender on the envilope before I opened it, aftger a few times getting their own crap back with no money they did stop. If people who only want money keep harrassing your elderly parent, hide or take away their credit cards, block all 1-800 numbers, do all the mailing for your parent so you can control what gets sent out and what you keep, I stopped hundreds of dollars from being sent away because they just target the elderly and just keep bugging them till they feel like they have to pay, or they send gifts and expect cause they sent them something the least they could do is send money back, so I marked everything return to sender and am still doing it 8 months after her death and it still keeps coming.....had a huge fight with Readers Digest, threatning my lawyer on them, they stopped right away and oh gee jusyt for the harrassment let me keep the last book they sent for free after dragging me through hell. Back to Dr Rob the phsycic from Georgetown, I can't even fnd a phone number, and I have written him who knows how many letters and sent back his crap and it still keeps coming !!!!!! These are just a few things I did for my mom before she passed away cause I was her care giver and her power of attorney too, good luck and hope I said something that has helped the care givers of their elderly parents.
Still mourning for my mom
Karen from Thorold, Ontario

inhym3 May 2010
Thanks Lynne, its good to hear that our efforts are not fruitless!
I am however considering sending all our mail (my mom lives with us) to a mail box and then I can throw out the Dr. Rob junk mail before it comes to the house. I just intercepted another piece of mail from "Maria Duval" psychic and along with the letter asking for personal information she sent a coin to "put under the bed" - it has a pentagram on it! - Anway I have some strong words for her when I send back her letter! Keep up the good fight!
Christine

lynne18 May 2010
Hi There...........
I'm the wife of Ken, who has dementia and is in a nursing home. Prior to his going there he got caught in some scammers "web". Dr. Rob was one of them. I also sent his threating scam letters back with "Fraud mail", etc. on the envelope and wrote him telling him I was going to contact the Federal Trade Commission. I also called him names......LOL
Well, just last week I got a letter from him stating that he would not be contacting my husband again.. Right, when you call their bluff they back off. What a low life to take advantage of elderly folks. Can't stand it!!
Lynne M

NancyH May 2010
We have a local TV station that will take a consumers complaints about different establishments, and delve into it for them. You'd be surprised how many times the harassing stops as soon as the cameras and questions start. Maybe it's time to shed some light on these things, I'll bet you'll be surprised how many other folks will come to the surface with the same issues.

1 3