Read More
This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Dear FyreFly:

Can she revoke the Durable Power of Attorney? If so, you could be left with no power at all to act on her behalf. I do not know what the laws might be where you live, but you should be able to go to court to get a conservatorship (which she cannot revoke). To prevail in such an action, you'll need to prove her inability to adequately and safely handle her finances. Such things as an inability to manage her checkbook, pay her necessary bills in a timely manner, use good judgment in avoiding scams, fraudulent schemes and shysters, making inappropriate investments, etc. would show the court the reason for your concern. Of course, a doctor's affadavit regarding the onset of Alzheimer's--which to my knowledge is progressive and irreversible--will be important, too.

The court will oversee your actions by requiring you to file reports periodically (how often depends on where you live). This will protect your mother against the conservator "stealing" her money. Your mother will not be asked to agree to this--if the court finds the conservatorship necessary to safeguard whatever assets she has, then it will be granted. (It will weigh her right to independence against the liklihood that without the conservatorship, she'll exhaust her funds foolishly and then become dependent on state support.)

In the meantime, start sending/faxing that Power of Attorney to all the service providers and ask that her bills be sent directly to you. That might assure that they get paid in the short term until you can get the conservatorship. After that, you'll be free to set things up in whatever responsible manner you choose.

Good luck! I'm in a similar situation myself, so I feel for you.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter