My father is 88 years old. He is a Korean War Vet. He has a fractured hip and shoulder. He lives with my 76 year old mother, who has many physical restrictions. So he will need constant movement assistance which she cannot provide. Medicare has very limited coverage and we have to pay out of pocket for the first few days he is home, which will be very expensive and financially difficult. Does the VA provide any assistance in the form of aide services or financial to cover services? I would greatly appreciate a response as soon as possible, as I have to make arrangements for an aide by Friday. Thank you very much! Scott

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Spearlman, the two days will be past by the time the VA could get anything in place. I don't believe it can provide care that quickly...although I could be wrong.

But I don't understand his he coming home from a hospitalization and surgery? Wouldn't he have gone to rehab first? And if not, why not? This is a typical progression after a hip fracture.

If he's been in the hospital for 3 days and nights, Medicare will pay for limited rehab, after which time he would be discharged to home. It would be in rehab that he would get movement assistance, although if by constant you mean every single minute 24/7, I don't know that that kind of care is available in any care facility, whether as an in patient or outpatient. It isn't even available in hospitals.

After rehab is through, home care would be ordered. It wouldn't be 24/7 care, but there would be PT, OT, limited nursing follow-up, and an aide and social worker if you want them.
Helpful Answer (1)

Contact your County VA rep. He should be able to tell u what is available.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter