Does the agency handle crimes against the elderly?

Recipent of a loan 4 years ago is over $10,000 behind in payments

What agency?
How a "crime"?
Who is the debtor?
Why did the elder person in question agree to loan the recipient this money? How much money, in total?
Have repayments to date been honoured? If so, has there been a change of circumstances?
Father (73 next month) loaned son (40 yrs old 2 months ago) $60,000 4 yrs ago to help him pay off the higher interest student loan debt under terms dictated by son, namely only 8 annual payments of $8,900.  (I had him sign a notarized loan agreement).  The interest rate was set at the 10 yr T bill rate of 3.2%. Payments have been random, but including interest he's about $10,000 in arrears. When pressed for repayment, he's very non-committal.  
This a civil matter. You sue him. Get a lawyer.
So, essentially, the son is late with one payment. How late?

Are you the father? If you are, it's up to you. You can take your son to court. But unless you're confident that he's got the money, what's the point? It depends on whether you're interested in the cash or the principle of the thing, I suppose.

And if you're not the father but a sibling, be sure that in attempting to protect your father's financial interests you're not merely making him miserable.

Unless there's a Medicaid application ahead...

I'm sorry for the situation. Money and family can make a very unhappy, stressful combination. I hope you're able to resolve it with no harm done.
Yes, I'm the father. You're correct about the status of the loan & perhaps I was getting ahead of myself. He's been making sporadic payments, but never one in the amount of the next annual payment ($8,900). If he makes that payment on January 14th, he would only be about $1,500 in the hole. But, I don't have a good feeling about him making a payment anywhere close to the $8,900. And, that's my concern.
No Medicaid application in my future. Perhaps for my wife, but all of our assets are held in a Trust & I'm the sole trustee.
Thanks for your responses.
BigJim, lending money to family sure is fraught with issues, isnt it?!

When you say has " noncommital", what does that mean? That he doesn't seem to be taking this seriously? Does he work? Have you had a serious, not warm and fuzzy talk with him? Do you have a lawyer who can send a letter to nudge him?

By the way, this isn't a crime against the elderly. This loan was made in good faith with a child. Maybe son is not able to make this balloon payment. Ask to have a sit down. Agreement may need to be adjusted.
It is a loan made in good faith, and with interest rates set at a fair market average. Fair at the time, anyway.

3.2% now, though... base rates having done what they've done and all that...

A generous father might like to see if he felt like giving his son a bit of wiggle room on the interest. Or not. As you please.

For your own and your wife's sake, aside from any connected issues and worries that I expect make the whole thing emotionally much more complicated, I'd be tempted to regard any repayments as a bonus and try not to *expect* them, as such. Otherwise the money becomes a token for more important issues which are perhaps the ones you and your son ought in truth to be talking about?
Countrymouse, you'd make an excellent shrink! Yes, I'm generous to a fault. In the past year, he got married, bought a second half million dollar house (rents out the first), bought a 2nd, car, a lab puppy, lots of furniture & a 2nd big screen TV. And, his new bride is a FT nursing student. All of these expenditures make me feel like I'm being disrespected. Now, you have almost the entire picture.
If he wasn't so damn smug & unappreciative about it, I'd probably just write it off. But, we have 2 other children who treat me with a lot more respect.
Thanks again.
I agree about C M making a good shrink.

Think about changing the terms of your estate plan so as to take your generosity into account, i.e., reduce what he would inherit by the amount of the loan. Is that possible?