I went to the grocery store today, with my elderly mother.

The grocery store she prefers to shop at is Wegmans. That necessitates, her driving on the interstate. While there are several local ones', that don't require her driving on the interstate.

Anyway, While PM-Rush hadn't started yet. She kept tailgaiting one car for several miles. Even though the 'bumper-to-bumper' situation didn't exist yet

Since she admitted long ago to problems with depth perception, I wonder who I can talk to that won't create a firestorm.

It may be time to get her to go for a senior driver test. If she fails, then her life may need adjustments. It may require you to schedule and take her to appointments. Do it on your own schedule. As for groceries and daily living as a non driver, either she needs to move or learn how to order groceries. This is new learning for her and you.

Perhaps you can convince her to sell her home and look into an independent living lifestyle. When my dad who was the only driver passed, my brother and I stepped back for a month so mom could see her limitations. That is when we took her to see independent facilities

Chris,

My cousin just got her driver’s liscence renewed at age 96! In Louisiana it is good for four years.

She recently got a speeding ticket and told off the cop! She drives to stores, church, doctor’s appointments, etc.

No driving tests was done. She passed the eye test so they let her have a license. I definitely think a road test should be required after a certain age. Maybe even the written exam too.

I would see if her doctor would bring up the subject, maybe in the guise of a patient survey. My mom takes surveys from her doctor, rating the care. Also hospital surveys too.

Easier for you if the doctor orders her to stop driving. My mom’s doctor told her not to drive when she had seizures. I was fortunate. My mom handled it with such grace and did not fight me to drive. I have friends who had to take the keys away.
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom
NeedHelpWithMom Mar 6, 2019
Can you put an Uber app on her phone and explain it to her?
(0)
Have her get an eye exam. There are a variety of depth perception cues but they are group broadly into monocular and binocular. Since she can see period, monocular is probably still good. Binocular might be compromised. If she has degraded vision in one eye compared to the other, she won't have that.
Reply to needtowashhair
Chris516 Mar 6, 2019
She was repeatedly going faster than the vehicle in front us. Resulting in almost rear-ending it more than once.

As for getting my mother to get an eye exam. While I already thought about it(and even agree with the idea). I can only take her keys, until she does.

But tomorrow(today), she has to drive to Baltimore for a dental appointment. Who knows what will happen on the road. I am not going because, I don't have to.
(0)
This is not good if depth perception is off. How long since an eye exam. Does she wear glasses to drive?
Chris516 Mar 6, 2019
I don't know when her most recent eye exam was. She doesn't wear glasses while driving. The only 'restriction' she has put on her driving. Is driving at night.
(0)