Mom (95) is in spend down. Does anyone know how much Medicaid help ($) people can get if they want to remain at home or living with family? Ballpark or a range is fine. I'm just trying to get an idea.

Thank you all for your answers. I will be seeing an elder law attorney soon to discuss the care agreement, and I now feel more informed as to what questions to ask. It's quite overwhelming. But it's helpful to know what to expect, and what not to expect. And I will check out whether PACE is here. Thank you!
Reply to MomcareFL

As others have posted the needs assessment is central to determining hrs the state will pay for an outside caregiver from agency or pay family if your state has a IHHS that allows payment to family.

CA has IHHS program and based on what others have posted the in the home paid family CG is paid slightly above minimum wage for your area and it is fully reported with taxes & FICA with 20 hrs a week average. There will be a limit to the # of hours allowed. If they get assessed to need over 36/40 hrs a week, they’ll likely be assessed to need skilled care in a facility with 24/7 oversight. So watch what you wish for in # of hours.

You might want to see if there is a PACE program in your city. If so, they might be assessed and determined to be placed at the PACE center 2 - 4 days a week with transportation provided by PACE. For PACE, they need to be “duals” that is on Medicare and Medicaid BUT it would be for community based Medicaid which has different & higher income & asset limits than for in facility LTC Medicaid which basically requires them to be impoverished with a max of 2k in nonexempt assets.
Reply to igloo572

If she is in spend down Medicaid will pay nothing until her resources are down to the state set limit. She could pay you from her own pocket but you need a care agreement prior to being paid. An elder law attorney can draft the agreement so it is in compliance with Medicaid rules.
Reply to gladimhere

They also will provide equipment if needed for example a commode or shower stand but they will not do home improvements.
Reply to tacy022

I think the max is 9 hours pay per day, even if they are completely helpless. And even if you are there 24/7 ... they will only cover 9. So depending on what the pay scale is where you live, and what level of care is needed -medical- or basic daily living activities type of care giving- (non medical.)
You can find out where to apply through medicaid. After you apply a separate social worker will then come to your home and help determine how many hours of paid help can be approved - depending on what your loved one can and can not do for themselves .... Hope that helps.
Reply to needhope

Thank you very much, tacy and worried, for giving me some insight into this. I don't know what all the exact needs will be when the time comes. Currently I take care of my Mom; she lives with my husband and me. She has Parkinson's and some mobility issues, but is oriented x3 and has retained her sweet personality. I hire in agency HHAs for 10 hours per week so my husband and I can get out together, more hours if I have appointments to get to. I work from home doing editing and translating. It's not easy to concentrate and I only average 15-20 hrs per week. I am at the point (emotionally and certainly financially) where I want to get out in the real world and work at least part-time. Mom is against the idea of adult day care; there is one near here but everyone is at some stage of dementia, so I don't see that as the environment for her, at this stage anyway. Other family members have no interest in the day to day. Sister comes sometimes on Sunday afternoons for 5-6 hours. Brother lives 30 miles away and has not visited since April; has not called since June/July. I am starting to think about Medicaid because Mom's assets (proceeds from August house sale minus reverse mortgage and credit card debt (from hiring in HHAs for 18 months)) will probably be gone within 6 months, faster if I start working out of the home and have to hire in help. Frankly, I know it sounds selfish, but my main concern after her money is gone is keeping my sanity!
Reply to MomcareFL

I have more time now so here goes. You get a needs assessment to determine the amount of formal care needs and the amount of informal care which family will need to provide. Formal care is always considered backup for family so any missed shift (which is often) is the responsibility of the informal caregivers. The Medicaid recipient does not receive money, the vendors will. Just because a service is offered, does not mean you will get it and once formal care is too expensive, they will do facility placement.

Formal care includes:

1. Caregivers during the day which vendors bill between $24 and $35 per hour. The most I was offered was 14 and that was because I was decision maker for a 2 week period during a spouses hospice. They only want to pay 8 hours a day but will put extra for drive time if the informal caregiver is working. Informal care is to provide the rest of hours.

2. A lifeline cost was $30 a month, additional lines are the recipients responsibility $5 a month.

3. A med dispenser included with lifeline and a nurse to fill the dispenser. Agencies bill Medicaid $180 per visit. Dispensers hold 30 doses so the nurse comes as many times as necessary to fill.

4. Incontinence supplies. They will provide 4 diapers a day, a liner for each diaper, 60 blue chair pads, 3 boxes of gloves, barrier ointment and 50 wipes. Cost was close to $900 a month a few years ago. Preferred vendor is J&B medical supply in Clarkston. You can get current pricing from them.

4. Meals on Wheels, they will pick up the tab for those but they still leave envelopes for donations.

5. Fuduciary duties if needed at $65 an hour.

7. If there is alot of snow, they will help contract with the local COA to shovel snow off roof.

8. Copays for medical bills and prescriptions.

9. Supplemental medicare part b can be paid by them depending on income levels.

10. If transportation is needed, the medicare supplemental picks that up for 35 appts a year.

11. 30 days of respite in a facility, they pay $110 a day for contracted facilities.
Reply to tacy022

there is no ball park range. It depends on the Medicaid program, whether it’s a voucher or not. Or what they approve her for. Generally in home caregiving is done on an hourly basis and Medicaid determines how many hours she’s eligible for. You may or may not have to find and hire the caregivers.
Reply to worriedinCali

Can you clarify are you talking about family being paid to caregive or hiring an agency? What are the needs?
Reply to tacy022