Yes, I have heard of this, I'm not sure how to go about it but I do know people who have done that. I believe you can't work to receive the benefits and there are strict rules. I know a few people who are elderly and really need assistance form the Government but are unable to receive the help. I really do not know this to be true but my friends Mother is very ill, she has no income and barely makes ends meat, her husband has become very ill now and she is unable to take care of him but I have heard if they know there is one person in the house that is able body its very difficult to get the much needed help. I also know others (not friends) that scam the government and are able to get all kinds of benefits and live off their disabled parents, or children or just somehow figured out how to get benefits that are not deserved. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the only lady's Mother We have a special needs child (Adult) and we have been unable to get the benefits that he deserves. It upsets me so badly that people who are able to work can get the benefits but people who really need them are not able to get hardly anything. But to answer your question, Yes!!! if your income is low enough or you have to quit your job to take care of your loved on there is a way to go about this. I wish you luck and I would check out the government websites. In my case my mother made about 20.00 to much with her S.S so she was not eligible for any benefits nor could I claim her as a dependent.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to Aveeno

Do the folks have resources? Is there concern about having inheritance left for other heirs? You are providing the care an should be paid. You would need a caregiver agreement, but payment is usually with folks resources. Call your Area Agency on Aging they can help to identify programs in your state that would be appropriate. Are either of your folks veterans? The VA has a program called Aid and Attendance that they may be eligible for. Check their eligibility online at the VA website.
Helpful Answer (3)
Reply to gladimhere

You might be able to get a Medicaid waiver for home care. Pays about $12.00 per hour for 4 or 5 hours a week. Plus there are long waiting lists for waivers even if you are proved. Most children who receive pay for caregiving receive pay from their parents savings.
Helpful Answer (4)
Reply to anonymous439773

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter