My husband is 84, can't ambulate presently because he was in hospital and rehab for a total of five weeks. His core needs strengthening yet we can't afford an aide.

When your husband was sent home, did he have in-home physical therapy (and possibly also in-home occupational therapy)? Normally Medicare will pay for that until the patient is well enough to go to out-of-home physical therapy/occupational therapy, which Medicare also covers. It sounds as if what your husband needs most is additional therapy so he won't need an aide (or won't need one for very long). I have been through this process a couple of times. If I needed an aide in addition, I had to pay for it, but I definitely did not qualify for Medicaid, so I didn't apply for it. Someone else wrote that Medicare might pay for some aide hours; however, in my experience, Medicare just covered the therapy. If your husband qualifies for Medicaid, then if it's medically indicated, some aide hours would normally be covered. As others have said, if his doctor didn't authorize any at-home therapy, you need to request that the doctor do so!
Reply to caroli1

When he was discharged, staff should have made it quite clear that you needed to provide help including caregivers. Taking him back in with no plans can be a recipe for disaster. This can be a risk to your health since I suspect you are of the same ages.
You can apply for Medicaid when you spend down savings to about 2K. It has to be done right so that you do not become impoverished. Medicaid can provide an aid at home but it may be only for a few hours per week.

You can start with your local social services or department on aging to assist you with the application. You need to educate yourself on Medicaid. You might want to spend a few hundred for advice from an elder law attorney to protect your assets.

An aide on Medicaid is not always possible. There may be a waiting list.
Reply to OuterBanks74

Call your PCP and request in home care. When they admit him, ask about an aide and how many hours u can get. In my State its only enough time for the aide to bathe 3x a week. Then another poster said he was given a few hours a day. Be aware though, this is not permanent. As soon as "in home" feels husband has plateaued, they will discharge. This will give you time to look into an aide thru Medicaid.

Have you asked your doctor to order Home Health Care, including PT to strengthen his core? That's the way MediCARE will pay for some aide hours.

To apply for Medicaid, call your local Area Agency on Aging or your County Social Services office.

go to your family service office in the city you live and apply
Reply to Pheobe

is your husband a veteran? Does he have SsI or Medicare.? People who come out of hospitals are eligible for home health and therapy under medicare. If you around his age check into your cities area care
Reply to Pheobe