My brother has dementia. He is still able to do a lot of things, but I see his memory failing regularly. Now his long term memory is starting to drift off. The problem is he has terrible leg wounds from edema that started 6 years ago. Because of his dementia he will not allow the nurses to clean and dress the wounds. The nursing home staff is frustrated to the point they have been sending him to the hospital to cover themselves in the event of infection or loss of leg. I can not get through to him and he doesn't even acknowledge he has wounds or an issue. I am at my wits end and need some help. I am having a meeting with the social worker at the nursing home at the hospitals nurses advice. When I interviewed the home before placing my brother there I asked if they had certified wound nurses and very well trained dementia staff. I was told yes on both accounts. 3 years later I am totally questioning this. Some times they can be very aggressive with him and it causes mayhem...

PS I would also be contacting the local long term care ombudsman to check into staffing and credentials and file a complaint about what you were told or improper or nasty care.
Reply to robinr

There is a place on line, I believe called the wound care shop, and they sell products for bandaging etc I had never been aware of. (A tape called Kind that doesn't stick to my dad's hairy arms!). There is a product that is like a self adhesive bandage the name is escaping me...it is flesh colored I recall. It is like embedded with the adhesive on a post it note...so it self sticks and could be a challenge to locate the start point...for pets it is called Vet Wrap.
Reply to robinr

When my dad got cellulitis from the labels the memory care facility put on his socks, he would fidget with the bandages also. I got some large tube socks, cut the foot off and pulled it over his leg to cover the bandages. If he pulls those off, what about compression leggings?
It’s also a good idea to see if he is eligible for hospice. They have been a blessing for us.
Reply to tazlady

girl i use to work in a place like that. and i have seen the nurses and doctors and other employees treat people bad. i quit. so let me tell you just because they are a social worker or a nurse or a doctor.doesnt mean they are nice or careing.and does the right thing. they have probally hurt your brother in some way when they tryed to clean it up or someone that has done it before hurt him intensionally .so he is acting out. because of it. i will leave you with this when it comes to your family trust no and what they say.i told my mom who i care for i would never put her in a nursing home because of the neglect and being treated bad
Reply to Helpless61

When a burn victim needs to have their wounds addressed, they sedate them. Do you think that would be a possibility? Also, what about something like leggings over his legs? Would he take them off?

From your description I wonder if he would be eligible for hospice, that might give you access to some different nurses.