They are popping up everywhere. Used to be you only had to decide to go to ER or your doctor's office. Now there's an in between. In my experience, it's fragmented care and doesn't provide much info when you walk into one.

My DH and I have had pretty stellar experiences at the Urgent Care Center we use (my husband specializes in getting sick right before holidays). So, they dxed shingles on July 3rd (he was on antivirals within the hour); he had what might have been passed off as a mere UTI, but a careful physician insisted that I take him to the ER for an immediate blood test because he's on Coumadin and hadn't taken a reading that week. His INR (supposed to be between 2 and 3) was 17. Three day hospital stay.

They patched up my broken nose when I fell and assured me that I had no broken ribs or facial bone damage.

I always email our PCP the results as backup to the patient portal.
Ahmijoy Oct 10, 2018
Ugh. My face hurts for you, Barb! ❤️
(0)
I've been to the urgent care so many times, it is ridiculous from stitches, to ear infections to pink eye. There are 3 types of urgent cares in my area, each is affiliated with a major hospital in the area so they can access your main patient chart so they can review your doctors notes. A copy of your visit is transmitted to your PCP. I only had one bad experience and that was when a doctor gave me amoxocillian which doesnt work on me but the young dr thought they knew my body better than me. You still need a PCP to order yearly labs and such. If they can't handle it or are unsure, they send you to ER with no wait once you get there.
Reply to tacy022

I took my mom to one, that was staffed only with a PA and he missed her pneumonia. I would go to one though if I needed stitches or something light like that.
Reply to kellse

I think the whole idea is to keep the ER as a place that handles real emergencies not broken toes and 2 a.m. earaches, where I live in Canada I like the idea but in my opinion there aren't enough of them and the hours are limited. We also have walk-in clinics, which judging by the long lines are very popular. Unfortunately a non urgent trip to the ER can still take 5 or more hours, so obviously they haven't solved the problem of over use.

I agree, just as u say, its an in between. Its there when the doctor is not available.

The answer is that it depends. Someone’s satisfactory experience is another person’s disaster, especially when sick kids are involved. An urgent care facility is probably not the place to take Mom or Dad who might be having a dementia meltdown. But if you suspect a UTI, strep throat or an ear infection, UCs are probably better than the ER.