How do I discuss safe sex with my 78-year-old father who has recently become sexually active?

My 78 year old Dad has recently become sexually active. I want to discuss safe sex with him. How do I do that?

26

Answers

1 2 3
Michelle hows your dad doing? haven't heard from you in a while so this inquisitive mind wants to know??????

If your dad is perusing porn sites, there is a good chance he has infected his computer with a virus, trojan horse or some other malware. How do I know? This is what I do for a living...and you would not believe what I find on some customer's computers. It would be smart to steer him towards a senior's dating site where he could hook up with somebody real and not trash the computer. It would also be smart to have his computer scanned for malware and cleaned if necessary. Not cheap, but if you expect the machine to work for a long time with no trouble, that stuff needs to be removed. In addition, that is how identity theft happens all too often. The senior dating sites would get him interested in someone he could actually relate to mentally instead of trying to score a booty call with somebody 1/3 his age. That is likely to result in disappointment for all involved if he persists in going down that path. I think there are software filters that can be installed on individual computers that would limit access to adult content. Net Nanny is one that comes to mind....I hope that helps.

Tom

I think good for you dad enjoy.

Sometimes the scent of a woman is enough to make a man drop his brain by the roadside

Ed you never cease to amaze me. Bravo!!

MICH:

To begin with, there is no such thing as safe sex, only "safer." With the advent of Viagra, Cialis, and other performance enhancement drugs men over 50 are "getting busy" more than ever.

Since the only thing you can do is reduce the risk, check out Harm Reduction Tips such as the correct use of male/female condoms, what dental dams are, and potential exposure to equal-opportunity diseases such as HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases/infections. Your local Department of Health should provide you with everything you need, including discrete, easy-to-carry Safer Sex Kits.

If he's preening and primping for a hot date, don't be afraid to ask him if he's carrying protection -- and show it to you. Sometimes the scent of a woman is enough to make a man drop his brain by the roadside, even the most careful ones.

"Sin gorrito no hay amor" (No glove, no love). Safer sex is responsible sex, and no matter the age there's no excuse for not protecting yourself and your partners.

Don't be afraid to talk WITH him about sex. After all, he's still breathing.

-- ED

Fist of all, internet porn is NOT cheap. It will cost him big bucks if he's not careful. Second, the reason he's asking about young women is because, who do you think is doing the pornography on the internet? Some old lady? No way. It's giving him unrealistic expectations seeing that stuff. That's why I said it was/will make him miserable in the end. I would refocus his attention to a woman his own age, or close to, and encourage a meaningful relationship. He can still find a frisky woman his age I'm sure. If someone made a law tomorrow that forces all internet porn sites to be free, those sites would disappear in a heartbeat.

Michelle,
This sounds like the kind of problem many of us caregivers would like to have ;-)) However, I don't agree with Nutz's statement that it is unlikely he's gonna hook up with young women. The issue here is connecting with young women who would try to hook up with him for purely financial reasons. (In the old days they were called goldbrickers, today they are the new normal) Some of these new normal women have accumulated fortunes by serially marrying older men of means and having them "change their will" to accommodate the new love in their life. A couple of years of the good life and the old man drops dead and then the family finds out that pop's entire estate now belongs to his 20-something spouse. When they attempt to take legal action, they discover that that 20-something gal had the equivalent of a Law degree and an airtight hold on the estate that it would cost the family more in legal fees to overturn the will than it would be worth. So along with the condoms you ought to supply a template for a pre-nuptial agreement that ensures any quid-pro-quo sexual activity does not involve a new beneficiary to the family fortune.

No need to apologize for length of your posts, Michelle. All that matters is that you know you have others who will support you to the best of our ability. All you need to do is give a shout out, and here others will be to let you know that you need not feel alone or embarrassed about a thing. Good luck to you and your Dad!

I would be very wary of online dating services or dating services advertised in the yellow pages. Those could present some very embarrassing situations for him which would embarrass you also. Do your research and find out what kind of reputation a dating service has. Maybe there are some local informal groups where you live that he could go to and maybe meet somebody.

For some reason society seems to have this idea that is just not the old person thing to do, but older people do have sex and sometimes run after other folks in the assisted living and nursing home places.

I also think he could really benefit from having an older man to talk about these things with.

Maybe he needs a visit to a Priscilla McCalls store or an Adam & Eve store where he could find some items for men to help him out.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to take away his internet.

1 2 3