I have heard that after so many years of my dad being 100% disabled, his benefits extend down to spouse even while he is still alive. He has been 100% for 7 years now with an Honorable Discharge. He is getting a monthly benefit check already and medical care. Looking to see if mom is eligible for anything in the future.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I think I found my answers at the Veterans Affairs web site. It's called Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC). Here is what I found -

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a tax free monetary benefit paid to eligible survivors of military Service members who died in the line of duty or eligible survivors of Veterans whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease.
Eligibility (Surviving Spouse)
To qualify for DIC, a surviving spouse must meet the requirements below.
The surviving spouse was:
• Married to a Service member who died on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training, OR
• Validly married the Veteran before January 1, 1957, OR
• Married the Veteran within 15 years of discharge from the period of military service in which the disease or injury that caused the Veteran's death began or was aggravated, OR
• Was married to the Veteran for at least one year, OR
• Had a child with the Veteran, AND
• Cohabited with the Veteran continuously until the Veteran's death or, if separated, was not at fault for the separation, AND
• Is not currently remarried
Note: A surviving spouse who remarries on or after December 16, 2003, and on or after attaining age 57, is entitled to continue to receive DIC.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter