Dentures or natural teeth?

I still have most of mine, but two root canals in one year makes me ask if giving up the fight is smart. Have you gotten dentures? What are the pros and cons? My grandmother said that she loved them because she could eat ice cream without pain. But I wonder, do they reduce your enjoyment of eating?

I'm thinking that dentures would be cheaper over the long term, because once they are made and then successfully fitted, there should be no more expense except keeping them clean.

From what i heard (not sure if your grandma is an exception) there is nothing like your own teeth so try to keep them as long as possible. My mom had the best dentures made but never quite mastered exactly how to chew with them which limited what she ate which of course was the point in getting them in the first place.
my mom has her two front teeth out and we had a plate made. but she doesn't wear them, says food doesn't taste good with them in.
Natural teeth can be a problem for those with dementia and bedridden at home for several years. How do you know when the patient's teeth are an infection problem, and if they are what do you do about it? The concern of not knowing is worrying. I am in that position and thankful that at least my wife has an upper denture. The lower natural teeth are now crumbling but as far as I can tell there is no infection . . .yet. If you anticipate the future may include dementia my advice would be to remove one's natural teeth before it's too late.
It is always better to keep your natural teeth even though you have to get root canals and crowns. An upper denture can work for you if you have a good bone ridge, but I would definitely hesitate to get a lower denture because most people don't have good bone on the bottom which is necessary to keep a denture in.
I know what my dentist says--keep your natural teeth! Dentures cause a lot of problems--your mouth changes over time and one set will probably not last more than 5 years. My FIL was constantly having problems with his.

Root canals, crowns--all part of the aging process. You don't say how old you are, but I have mouth full of root canals and crowns and I will do the work to make sure I never have to deal with dentures!

When daddy was bedridden and on a lot of pain meds and not cleaning his teeth well, we did have some issues. Mother finally realized she had to help him to brush and floss and the issues ended. Pulling all his teeth when he was only sort of aware of what was going on? Trying to deal with getting him accustomed to dentures? His dentist actually made house calls.
(Can you tell I was a dental assistant? Keep your natural teeth as long as possible---dentistry in the 40's and dentistry in this millennium are completely different animals!)
There's nothing like your natural teeth. Dentures are not comfortable fir everyone and they can be hard to get used to. The best thing to do is brush twice a day, floss every day, and use listerine. Go to a good dentist who will give you a thorough exam and cleaning. But to have good teeth removed is just barberic. Not to mention painful. Not to mention that at a version age gum shrinkage prevents the proper wearing of dentures, so now you're on a diet of mush. Please do not do this. I've had 5 root canals and 1 implant. My teeth are beautiful and functional. Most important thing you can do if you don't already is floss every day.
In my 30s I had avery painful root canal. When i needed another in my 40s, I told the dentist to just pull it. He refused saying he would not pull a healthy tooth. I said how heathy can it be? Twenty yrs later I have lost two different teeth for different reasons. Long way to say that root canal says nothing about overall health of teeth & an ethical dentist will not pull healthy teeth. But discuss your concerns with your dentist, see him regularly to keep your teeth, & address issues early before they get out of hand. I've read somewhere that healthy teeth are important for overalll health.
Some 40 years ago when my grandmother was in her early 70s, she told me her dentist explained that even if one's teeth are crooked and/or ugly, they still are better than the best dentures.
Jinx, I've wondered myself if the pain and expense involved in preserving out natural teeth is worth it.
My mom had a full upper denture most of her life and never had any problems eating. We have had more problems since she had to get a lower partial, they don't fit as snugly without adhesives. Since she now is on a modified diet I can't say if she would be able to eat real food or not.
I do know that her first set of porcelain teeth lasted over 20 years, her second set also lasted almost as long, but the teeth they make now seem designed to be replaced and repaired much more frequently.
I also wonder about mouth care once we are in a nursing home, it seems that when staff are overburdened oral care is one of the first things to go. I recall visiting an aunt who had food pocketed in her cheeks hours after any meal, it is no wonder that the teeth she spent so much money on and had been so proud of rotted away and had to be removed.
Don't do it!! My mom went for dentures and she was never the same afterwards. She was embarrassed, her sense of self was damaged, food became stuck between the dentures and her gums, her speech was effected and as we age, even our mouth contour changes and the teeth never fit well.