If you live on your own and have dementia do you have to pay council tax?

Mum has had dementia for over 17 years she receives 25 % reduction for single occupancy.

Can you claim this money back from the council and how?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Well they'd buried it quite deeply - are Thurrock not enthusiastic about tax relief, perchance? - but here you go:

Council tax exemptions and premiums

Exemption for occupied properties
Occupied properties are exempt from council tax if:
they are student residences at universities or colleges
they are homes occupied by students or school and college leavers
they are homes of non-British spouses and dependants of a student
they are Ministry of Defence (MOD) properties for the armed forces
all the occupiers are under 18 years old
all the occupiers are severely mentally impaired (SMI) or SMI and students

The link is

It looks at first glance as though there is going to be quite a little steeplechase ahead of you to get your mother's claim in and accepted, but just keep on keeping on and you should get there.

Makes you wonder what happens to the little old ladies who don't have anyone to do this for them. Best of luck.
Helpful Answer (0)

You can check the exemption criteria on your local authority's website.

I just checked ours to see what it says and it says

"If only one person lives at the property and they are severely mentally impaired, the property may be exempt from Council Tax."

You will need to have the impairment certificated by your mother's GP or mental health team. But anyway - go online, you'll find all the rules and claim forms there.

I wouldn't get your hopes too high, though. It's going to be tricky to show that your mother's dementia impairs her to that extent and/but that she is able to live alone. Who's your local authority?
Helpful Answer (0)
Josie99 Mar 2019
Mum council is Thurrock council in Essex.
I am assuming you r from the UK. There are a few from the UK on the forum. I will contact one of them. She may be able to answer your question.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter