The person I take care of has crazy salt cravings. Under the direction of the doctor and nurse all salty foods have been taken away from her. The problem is now she is eating condiments like bbq sauce and ketchup out of the container. We keep taking the stuff away but she cons her other son into bringing the stuff back into the house. The nurse called the son and told them not bring the stuff anymore because she cannot control herself with salty foods. The son states he will not deny his mother. As a result the swelling in her legs becomes cellulitis and since she refuses to wear depends most of the time her legs get infected. Then she calls us all night cause shes in pain and cannot move. Does anyone have any suggestions about what you can use as a salt replacement. Ive tried different types of vinegar with vegetables but they do not seem to satisfy the cravings.

Just use careful moderation when using regular salt if anyone has high blood pressure. Moderation is common sense use for anything.

My father was denied salt as a child and consequently wants to add it to everything, but I have been gradually weaning him off, now that I prepare the foods. McCormick makes a salt free all-purpose seasoning that I put on the table to use in lieu of salt. He can't tell the difference. It's a blend of herbs and spices. I actually prefer pepper over salt for many things. He still eats popcorn and nuts in moderation but I buy the lightly salted version.

I don't wish to challenge anyone's opinion, but the suggestion of adding more sugar makes me cringe. Sugar is not healthy; too much can cause inflammation and obviously diabetes over a longer term.

Home grown, organic herbs are a good choice. Onions and garlic both have health advantages. I don't know of too much that's stronger than those two!

But home made bread is a great suggestion. The aroma alone is therapeutic.

Hello there, I am a self-confessing, salt addict. In fact I wouldn't even tell you the real amount of salt I eat in one day... however. I have been trying to help myself in this regard, and have been thru the gamut of alternatives, oddities, additions and subtractions. Here is what I have accomplished so far, in reducing my salt intake... Best thing so far, I use more and more pepper on foods, instead of salt. You don't notice the lack of salt in food when its strongly flavored in a different way, i.e., pepper for instance. Also...bbq sauce, find a brand that is salt free. Think Spice, instead of salt. This is the only way I have found so far, to cut back on salt. None of the salt alternatives sold in stores work for me, the taste is too "off". As far as the "other son's" refusal to deny her salt? Simply explain to him that he is in fact enabling a much more painful, drawn out suffering for her, ending in a shorter lifespan. Whoever has power of attornery/medicine, could always go the extreme and deny that son access, or ensure supervised visits, if he continues to enable her swiftly declining, painful death. I'm sorry but I had to say that. Oranges are very yummy and strong tasting; I'd have them peeled and ready to chew, in a series of baggies there, for her to eat as much off as she wants. I think of it as an addiction, and a bad addiction can always be replaced with a good addiction : ). Set a huge bowl of fruit in front of her and say " ok mom, there is 2 whole teaspoons of salt in this bowl. If you eat all this fruit, even I won't stop you from eating the 2 tsp of salt thats in it!" My dad had a salt addiction, until we found "garlic bologna" at the deli for him. Now he gorges on that, it has a very strong garlic odor and flavor, but he isnt missing salt when he eats all that garlic. How about homemade, salt free bread, that is served to her warm, a slice slathered with either her favorite flavor of jelly or maybe low salt or salt free peanut butter? Does she like salsa? Make a omlette with alot of salsa over it (and pepper). She love baked goods or sweet foods, treats? Give her MORE sweet foods, stuff her with them so she isnt hungry or even thinking of salt, truvia is a very good substitution for sugar in baked goods. Stir up her sweet tooth and cravings and I think that'll reduce her cravings for salt. No one salts a brownie or slice of cake, right? And you can use a salt substitute in baked goods that wouldnt be so noticeable as it would be if you were to sprinkle it on say, scrambled eggs or something. One other thing, I am eating alot more applesauce too, more fiber stuff to fill me up so I don't even think about a salt craving...cottage cheese with fruit....salt free nachos to scoop salsa with... I hope something in this reply helps.

How about very small amounts of sea salt with iodine in the diet? Ask the doctor about that too. A balanced mineral is required for electrolyte system functions.

I see something else as a possibility. From what I've read, humans do need a certain amount of iodized salt, for various other reasons (see the article cited below). Reducing salt consumption makes sense, but eliminating it entirely makes me wonder how this poor lady is getting her iodine.

This isn't an area about which I'm as knowledgeable as some others here, but I keep wondering about cutting out salt completely. And I also wonder if the woman you care for has a thyroid problem if her salt has been deprived entirely,

The fact that the woman is trying to eat Epsom Salts makes me really uncomfortable. What was the justification by the doctor for eliminating all salt?

This is an interesting article: read the section "Why Your Body Needs Salt" and "Dangers of a Low Salt Diet":

articles.mercola/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/17/dangers-of-salt-restriction.aspx

I've also used the Morton Salt Substitute; CaringForTwo offers good advice on checking it out.

Morton sells a product called "Salt Substitute" that is potassium chloride, fumaric acid, tricalcium phosphate and mono calcium phosphate. It's in the grocery section along with regular salt and herbs. I'd check with her doctor before trying it, just in case.

My son as a toddler would climb onto the table and use the salt shaker to pour salt into his mouth. He was also chewing paper. His doctor immediately told me to go to a health food store and buy chelated minerals, especially potassium. He said it was a potassium craving, and his body was not utilizing the salt he took. Thus the need for 'chelated'. He got over it later.

Yes she was tested. No anemia no Addisons. We had to put everything with salt in a cupboard with a lock on it. Filled the refrigerator with no salt foods. I bought a basket for the table filled it with fresh fruit and bought unsalted nuts and snacks. Yesterday her worker caught her trying to eat Epsom salt. She doesn't like the no salt. It's out of control and I'm just trying to satisfy the craving without giving salt.

Have you had her tested for anemia?? I experienced ridiculous salt cravings, and discovered i was severely anemic!