My dad has end stage Heart Failure. I live with my husband in Nicaragua & I flew back to Canada at the end of October when my dad was rushed to hospital. Dr.'s told me it was best if he moved to palliative care. My dad categorically said no. Also, my mom doesn't drive, is illiterate & outside of housework & cooking (her forte) she has never had to deal with daily living issues or finances. I had set up a part-time housekeeper/grocery shopper for them when my dad couldn't drive anymore. My mom suffers from some arthritis in her hands but at 84 years old, besides some memory problems, she also seems to have bouts of depression/anxiety/anger that are triggered several times a month.
The waiting list for nursing homes is over a year & my only other choice was finding a senior's home where we could have home care services & government run home palliative services. In a whirlwind affair, got my parents moved to top of the line senior home while my dad was still in hospital. I postponed my trip back home to Nicaragua to get them set up.
Once he was stabilized he moved to the Senior home with everything set up for him. Oxygen, nurses visiting & home care to help with certain things. Home care sends different women & each had a learning curve on what to do. There was a lot to iron out. I postponed my trip again. I wasn't going to leave until I felt everything was under control. Now everyone knows how many details there are to moving, changing addresses, POA, banking, government, etc.
Shortly after my dad coming home, a week or so later, my mom calls in a panic & said she called the ambulance to take him back to the hospital. Once again in the hospital we went thru explaining to my parents either my dad stayed in hospital palliative unit, or at a hospice, which they refused. My mom can't be alone, she can't do anything on her own. So dad came back home once again. I postponed my trip once again.
Then the tears began again with my mom. She hated the food. Over the weeks while my dad was in hospital, I often ate with my mom at the Senior's home dining room. It was all quite good. She often sat with other folks & ate but the minute my dad came back, they began eating in their apartment because my dad didn't feel well enough to make it to the dining room. They practically stopped eating. There are activities, shuttle bus, entertainment at the Senior home, my mom stays in the apartment with my dad 24 hours a day.
A week before I was suppose to fly back home she announces that she refuses to continue living at the Senior's home & wants to move to Nicaragua with me. I was shocked at first. The plan was that after my dad died that yes, indeed she would come live in Nicaragua with me but now she wants to do it right away. I postponed my trip back home once again. The logistics of bringing my dying father is enormous. Yes, he could live perhaps a few more months or he could pass away in a few weeks. They would save a lot of money, the senior home is very expensive. It would be easier for me to take care of them in Nicaragua. (I'm the only living child left & I'm 65, my hubby is 75 & needs me too). I don't have the heart to put my dad through this but my mom is adamant she won't stay.
How can I convince her to wait it out for my dad's sake? She cries & is depressed daily now. I've been here now for over 3 months, do I just stay month after month until he passes away & leave my husband alone longer? They are both old school Europeans where they expect the child to do all. I am burnt out from the stress of it all & can't think clearly anymore.