My Dad has ulcers on his lower tailbone and heels. Any advice how to make him more comfortable while sitting?

He is very limited in his movement due to advanced cancer. He basically sits in a chair at the kitchen table, in a lift chair in his living room, or is in bed. Due to his inactivity, he has developed a major ulcer/bed sore on his lower tailbone and on both heels. His home health care nurse bandaged them but he is uncomfortable sitting(even on a donut(rubber/vinyl). His OT mentioned air cushions are recommended with patients with ulcers/bed sores on their bottom. Has anybody used them? Are they effective? We have spent so much already on equipment that insurance won't cover. I don't have a problem investing in it if others have found them beneficial. Also, does anyone know if these air seat cushions are covered by insurance?

17

Answers

Just because of my curiosity, How the Dr will take the decision that a device should be use in place. Is that after a proper skin evaluation with respect to a Braden scale or to a similar tool ? Or is it after the patient got a pressure ulcer; at least a stage 1 ulcer ?

My father had the same sores. We had a hospice nurse bandage them. Actually, she taught me and I cared for them. They healed up with proper care. My suggestions: see wound nurse, check aging resources in your community as we were able to find a coccyx cushion(has hole by tailbone)so no pressure on tailbone,elevate feet by putting a pillow under knees so the heels don't touch anything), turn on side to keep pressure off tailbone(put pillow behind back). These were some things that worked for my father. Hang in there! He is lucky to have you!

GardenArtist what is the reason for suggesting fleece fabric ? I thought it was warm and demotes the breath-ability to the skin.

I am so sorry to hear your dad has ulcers. I took care of my mother for years until she recently passed away. Not sure why I haven't removed my name from this list. I guess it is my way of still dealing with her death.

I had so much success using alternating pressure mattress, rotating her at least every two hours and using a product called "Wound Care - Healing Formula" sold by Herbal Healer. My mother developed a sore on her heels and this worked wonders. I had her caretakers use it regularly if the saw some redness developing. She never got any more ulcers once we used the alternating air mattress and rotating her (at least every two hours) religiously. To help heal those quickly order bottles of Wound Care at only $20 per bottle. It will help give him the relief he deserves. The link is below;

herbalhealer/healingformula.html

God Bless and I hope you remember to take care of yourself, which will ensure your father will always be in good hands. Find other caretakers to give you a break and write a regimen and schedule so you will feel comfortable when others are caring for your father.

Grace

I was a home care nurse for years. The best thing to do is purchase a pressure relief cushion at your local pharmacy. They look like a donut! Also use barrier cream to help protect the ulcers. If they look infected (red, purulent drainage, irritated). I would take him to a local wound care facility. Most hospitals have wound care specialists who work at a clinic.

3. Heels off all surfaces. Again, wound nurse specialist to treat.

1.. Cut out cushion so that coccyx does not touch it.

2. Have a wound nurse specialist treat the wound. Very serious injury and in-way for infection.

Treat his condition as an emergency!

It only hurts if you try to flatten the angle of your feet as you do for walking. Go on line to FootSmart to see options. I bet you could come up with some of your own (a 45 degree angle that come against the sole of the foot for example).

I have two layers of a 4 inch memory foam lopper cut to fit the chair. I also have a donut on top of that (MD recommended) I did not know donnuts came in sizes and Dad needed the large one rather than mom's old one. It is back to school time, and finding mattress toppers now should be easy. I would advise making one for the back of the chair separate from the seat and the back pulls down when Dad sits. Make a big pillow cover with a zipper that you can take off and wash once in a while. I also got water proof covers (pet proof) from Bryant Home. Get the reversible ones they don't slip as much. Dad gets sores on his butt vs. tail bone. I have been turning him on his side with a pillow behind his back at night. Even just a hour or two has helped him heal. If you can, maybe he can be on his side on the sofa to watch tv for part of the day, or turn his chair sideways and prop him sideways. As for his heels, again, no pressure. Elevate them AND use some sort of strap to keep his feet squared rather than pointed. You don't want his Achilles tendon to shrink up. When I have had some surgeries, they have used plain of Vaseline to cover the area, and a loose bandage. Vaseline stains terribly. I use Weleda Diaper Rash cream to heal dad's butt (zinc, calendula etc). The key to pressure sores is NO pressure.

As ProvidenceLane says DO NOT USE A DONUT! It cuts down on the circulation to the center of the area in the middle of the donut.

The more that you keep him off his back the better. When sitting, a foam rubber cushion or egg crate cushion helps.It sounds like he needs to be turned every 2 hours faithfully. He should not sit in one position for long periods of time.

Good nourishment is important. With cancer, he probably does not have a good appetite. Hi calorie, hi protein drinks are good. Protein is important for wound healing.

The home health nurse should work out a program for you regarding turning and nourishment.