Why is my Dad disrobing?

Last weekend, I was called from Hospice to come and spend time with Dad because it seemed that he may be passing. Dad is quickly declining, among his other behaviors such as being combative, refusing food, meds he is now disrobing, I mean everything OFF! After redressed and checked for temperature, 10 mins later he's disrobing again. When asked why, he has no reason he does it subconsciously. What is this?

21

Answers

1 2 3
My Dad never had dementia he passed young. There was a large round light on the wall in the hospital and he kept walking towards it not saying a word and disrobing it went on for several hours before he passed. It was the strangest thing I had ever seen even the nurses could not explain it.

My dad also disrobed when he was on hospice last stage of cancer. It was Dec very cold month and he would take all of his clothes off and when I saw that he did I would go to him to recover him and his body put off such a coldness. I could feel it like a cold wave. It was crazy because when I would cover him he would take it off again. He was like an iceberg literally. He later passed that day and I wonder if since we come into this life naked, so we should leave that way. I guess in his case it was but it truly did make sense at the time for me.

I googled "disrobing dimentia" and found several articles. On the Alzheimer's site they called it one of the disruptive behaviors in later stage dimentia.

sumlerc....so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to witness first hand what the whole death process includes. I was thinking that he must be in the last stage. My mom did similar with her bedding and clothes. Bless you for being there for him. I pray for comfort and peace to be with you at your time of loss. Take care. ((hugs))

Sorry for your loss sumlerc. Sounds like your head is in a good place. Closure and peace are coming your way.

I wish you and your family the best.

I should have added this phenomenon of undressing when hypothermic is called paradoxical undressing. I checked and it occurs when the body temp gets very cold -- 82-90 degrees F.

It may be the dementia or it may be that his body temperature is low. It may seem strange, but sometimes when people's body temperatures get below a certain point, they can sense they are too warm and start taking off their clothes. As people near death, the body temperature and blood pressure often go down dramatically. If this is happening and your father feels warm, your father doesn't have the rational thoughts of modesty that we think of as normal. So it could be why he is disrobing. (Just a possibility)

Thank for your comments Why try to understand it??? Its a new behavior and if there was something I could do, then I wanted to know...simple as that. Well now I have no more questions or concerns about Dad, Dad passed on the 19th of Feb, whatever he was going thru, he is done with the troubles of this world. We had a beautiful Home Going Service and now my Dad can truly rest in peace. Thank you for your support to me with my Dad and Mom over the last 3 years.

Disrobing is a normal stage of dementia, I went through it with my mothere also. You can even go online and buy "unstrippable clothing." There is a place called buck and buck online. I bought from them and then make my Moms pajamas to she couldnt get them off. My Mom took them off, squatted on the floor, sometimes against the bed, and peed !!! I HAD to get her to not be able to undress and it worked like a charm. Good Luck.

For about 5 hours before my Dad passed he disrobed we were in the Hospital and there was a round light on the wall. My father kept taking his gown off and would walked towards the round light. It was the strangest thing I had ever seen it went on for hours. My mother and I were told he would be fine that he was going to be on a machine for his kidneys, but after we left his whole body shut down and he passed. I felt bad that we were not there but the doctor had told us he would be fine.

1 2 3