My Dad has had 7 operations on his hip. This is a recurring theme with his hip injuries. I feel that he is being neglected. Any advice?

He has had 7 operations after a fall over 3 years ago.He continues to fall and injure the hip under his wife's care. My father's wife moved out and 2 hours away from him before his first fall. Since then, he has fallen with her and without her care. Here excuse for not caring for him is that she cares for her grandchildren (unnecessary), so she leaves him alone. He has just fallen again as his wife drove him to a rental property for him to work on it and left him there alone. This is a recurring theme with his hip injuries. I feel that he is being neglected; possibly criminally so.

20

Answers

Sudacroo: You are very upset. This is obviously not your mom who is taking care of dad...Get over that fact. What needs to be done in your mind? Dad needs care...

You will have issues anywhere you go, slipper slide of life....nobody is perfect, but you will need to find a better solution for you and your dad... Good luck, everyone has their opinion, so read on and think about it.

Sudarcook, do you think that she's trying to kill him? ( based on your comment about killing off an elderly spouse). If you suspect that she's trying to kill him, that's an entirely different question.

Most Eldercare attorneys will provide a 30 minute free consultation. Perhaps you should bring your suspicions to one, along with documentation. You would still need to show, I believe, that an MD and/ or PT has stated that your father's ambulatory must be supervised and that his wife is leaving him unsupervised willfully.

sudacrook;; it helps people vent... You are allowed to absorb take in ideas or move on to the next answer. . I could be criminal, or his wife has dementia too, and is not physically or mentally capable to handle your dad's situation.. Time to step in and mill around a bit to help your dad and his wife find a solution. It's time to tell dad he is not capable to handle jobs like that and to stop. Do you go to doctor appts with them? Do they ask you? suggest you drive them next time and bring these issues up. How old are they? We took mom's license away at 80. MOved my aunt 1/2 mile away from me, and MIL just stroked and is in driving distance to us now. Family within 2 mile radius of us...They all are 6 packs 24/7 care, never alone

ON top of that, does he have arthritis in his knees? Kness buckling under him? This is happening to my MIL. Oh how fun it is... Sorry.. I'm getting a little frustrated, with my geriatrics.... Welcom,, this is a great site to read and vent.

It gets harder every time that person falls. He obviously is weak and cannot stand for any period of time alone... Get him in a care facility...6 pack, bored and care.... any place with 24 hour care. Physcial therapy to diagnose why he is falling? How is his eye site? Is he using the walker as he is supposed to? Does he have the mental capacity to use a walker? My mother didn't,, and neither does my aunt without supervision.

You have not answered any of our queries for additional information, which would get you an actual answer to your question about neglect.

1. Has an MD ordered that your father be supervised 24/7?

2. Has an M D said that your father may not walk without supervision ?

3. Is your father compliant with what his doctor orders ?

This site does not render legal opinions. We are caregivers, not lawyers.

I'm so sorry that you don't find this approach of asking for more information useful. I wish you and your father well.

I mean, what kind of a site is this? Not a one of you have provided me with a helpful answer, yet you all have decided that your answers are helpful. My god, how we have destroyed trust and confidence in this country. Good luck to you all.

Do your father's doctors

What level of supervision do your father's doctor say is necessary? THAT would factor into a finding of neglect, not lay opinion.