Crushed medications this morning and put in some applesauce. She didn't like the taste but swallowed everything. Advice?

She complained about the bitterness. What can I give her to help with this? I'm afraid she will resist taking the crushed meds in applesauce if I don't do something to offset the bitterness.

21

Answers

1 2 3
Sheba,
Your ideas are great. Thanks so very,very much.:)

Depends a little on which tastes she is fond of. Many people indeed like chocolate very much. My grandmother did not, but was very happy with strawberry jam. So, we crushed the pills and mixed it with a large spoon of strawberry jam, which we than gave in 3 or 4 times. The taste of strawberry apparently was taking away the bitterness of the pills. I have heard from someone else that her husband was very fond of smoked salmon. So the crushed pills were mixed with chopped up smoked salmon and problems were solved. It's just a matter of finding a taste that they like very very much and take away the bitterness to an acceptable level. It is also a good idea to give a small treat after the medication so that the bitterness does not remain in her mouth afterwards. Wish you luck with your experiments.

What worked best when my husband needed his pills crushed to swallow them was dissolving them in a very small amount of grape soda. That seemed to overpower the taste of the pills best (and the carbonation helped them dissolve) and the small amount let him get it over with quickly. Then he had a chaser of just the pop.

This was for helping him to swallow them. He was willing. He understood what I was doing and experimented with me with several different approaches. This was not to hide them. That is a different issue.

Thanks ferris for adding that. I knew that. But you confirmed more of it

Yes, not ALL meds can be crushed. If her med can be, make a smoothie and blend it with fruits and see if that helps. Yogurt is also a choice, but try the ones without too much sugar.

Be careful because not all meds should be crushed. Those that can't be should be investigated as to if they come in capsule form. Those can be opened and mixed in with food far better.

Try some Stevia, which is a natural sweetener, with a little bitter taste which should off set the med bitterness. Beware though, use it sparingly as it is VERY sweet. Zero calories!

I agree with those who have advised speaking to your pharmacist to explore other options, perhaps there is a different form of the medication that would work better, perhaps even using 2 smaller dosed pills rather than one would allow her to swallow without crushing? Barring that Teepa Snow recommends using jam, it is very sweet and the not quite smooth texture can hide pills better than applesauce or puddings.

How about a soft pc of candy like a mini milkyway. Cut it in half put med in and put back together.

There may be flavor options for some types of medicines. Pharmacists can use a product called FLAVORx to make medicines taste better.

1 2 3