Creation of a trust, can it be a house with an existing mortgage?

I am disable through SS and I have my mother living with me for two years I have been taking care if her it's getting harder and harder to do because of her decline in health. She doesn't have Medicaid her income is to high $4,000 a month.but I read this on this site and was wondering if this could be done so she could receive Medicaid and get into an assisted living because now she can't afford one . Her income is $4,000 and her bills are $1,600 a month and the centers run $5,400 to 10,000 what can we do?

30

Answers

1 2 3
well, twright, at least she has it to be able to do it that way, unlike hub's aunt and uncle whose is already run up for other things that they're already paying on such that not sure they'd even be able to do that, why for sure not sure what going to do in their situation

No, no no - don't put her into credit card debt. Get estate planning or eldercare attorney help NOW before you do that again!! It will cost far less than $1500.00 a month at high interest!!

She is self pay that's the problem it cost 1500. 00 more a month then she brings in. This month we put the 1500 on her credit card.

so if she's already past her Medicare 100 days how is she still getting her rehab now?

She is in an assisted living center now for rehab

is she in a nursing home now getting her rehab?

Her income is to high to go one Medicaid her Medicare is past her 100 days and she still needs more rehabilitation so she can go home. So yes she is keeping her house to return to so my question is how will this work with Medicaid? She doesn't make enough to pay for the assisted living so we were looking into Medicaid

The other thing to do is ask about a Miller Trust or the equivalent to let her get Medicaid despite being over income. This gets complex, and you have to think about how many years of care she is likely to need. And yes, you need a really good eldercare attorney or life care planner to properly handle all the complexities of this.

If you sell Mom's house, the proceeds will have to be spent down for her care, but that may be fine; if you do not sell, it can be an exempt asset and won't stop her from getting Medicaid if she intends to return, whether or not that is realistic, but then you are paying for the insurance and upkeep of the house, plus if it goes unoccupied long enough, the insurer may even balk at covering it.

mom has to qualify for Medicaid first, is the problem there

1 2 3