My cousin is 75 and has Alzheimer's with limited financial resources - how can his care be paid for?

He has no close relatives - parents are deceased, no brothers or sisters, no children, married and divorced 4 times. He asked me several years ago to look after him and I am now his legal guardian. Unfortunately, he made no financial provision for this and he only has SS and small pension totaling $1800/month after his health insurance. Obviously, this isn't near enough to pay for care but he can't live at home alone any more - it's just no safe for him. He's a veteran but unfortunately doesn't qualify for VA Aid and Attendance (he missed Vietnam by a year) and I certainly can't afford to subsidize his care for $1000 to $2,000+ per month, I've got my own parents and retirement to worry about. From what I'e been able to tell, his income is to high for any sort of state (NC) assistance and he won't qualify for Medicaid until he needs "skilled nursing care". The problem is this gap between him not being able to live alone safely and needing skilled nursing care. So this is my question - is my only solution to let him remain in his home until something "bad" happens to him, which would require him to go to a nursing home.? Or what if I resign my guardianship, there are no other nearby relatives (and I live an hour away btw) and let the county deal with it? If he's a ward of the county will they have to pay for his care? I'm just not sure what to do right now but the financial resources just don't exist for me to pay for the care my cousin needs. I'm at a total loss as to what to do right now.

20

Answers

Conniee, apparently you and I touched a nerve here. I didn't think it was political in any sense what you originally stated and I am as frustrated as you are waiting for help from an organization that should be more timely in processing requests for the widows of war veterans. It really is shame.

Enjoy reading and learning about care giving issues. However, we should not be instructing people not to discuss the issue which involves state and national policies of caring for the aging. It isn't talking politics but explaining the restrictions to qualifying for certain programs such as Medicaid and Aide and Attendance.
Filing for any insurances or programs is a maze for most of us , so knowing some of the steps involved is helpful.

Good luck gathering help for your elderly cousin.

Did you need to go through the court system for guardianship. You could notify the courts about resigning and see about a court appointed guardian. It is a shame veterans need war time service for Aid and Attendence when not a military retiree.

Who is talking politics?

If you really insist on talking about politics, please start your own question so that people who want to avoid political disagreements can do so.

In most states, Medicaid has a "waiver" program specifically to keep persons in the community rather than to go into nursing homes. When the time comes to move to a nursing home, the person is automatically eligible.

In my state, if the monthly income is over and above the limit, the person must "spend down" the excess amount each month. For example, if the limit is 1800 and the income is 2000, when $3000 of in-home care is provided then the person must pay $200 and the program pays $2800. It is kind of like a deductible. Unfortunately I can't easily find the information about this in NC. I hope that your county Social Services department can supply this information.

PULEEEZE leave political opinion out of these discussions!

Ferris1- Veterans have to have served during wartime to be eligible for Aid and Attendance. He wasn't according to the original post.

I hit the button too soon, but I am in agreement with Conniee. Too much preference is given to people that are not citizens of this country. And this is a blog where we can post our frustrations with the way things are. Aid and attendance is a joke---we have been waiting over a year and not one word or acknowledgement from them regarding my almost 90 year old mother in law. In fact , I did read a post on here not too long ago that stated that widows are the bottom of the list when it comes to approval for it---you should apply for Medicaid in any case and hope that the income of your cousin is little enough for him to qualify. I know it's frustrating to go through all the challenges of elder care and the responsibilities we shoulder. Been there and done that.

Politics or not, I am in agreement with