I live with my mother and she micromanages my life. Would counseling help my terminally ill mother’s and I relationship?


I'm a 37 year old man who moved from Colorado to Georgia to take care of my terminally ill mother. I can't have a full time job due to her condition, I need financial help and she is driving me CRAZY, but I love her and would do anything for her.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


Is your mother's terminal condition such that she would qualify for Hospice services? Or might she have years in her present condition? I think that matters at least a little in how you should handle it.

You say that financial assistance is needed. Does your mother have resources to pay you for your caregiving, since you cannot do other paying work at this time? I think you would do well have have some outside assessment of the situation. Contacting the Aging Services Division of Georgia Department of Human Services would be a good starting place. They can direct you to many services, including how to apply for various financial aid programs. They may also be able to advise you regarding counseling. Start there.

As Lilliput says, counselling for you and your mother as well as for you alone could be very useful.

Aging Services can help you understand all the options for ways to take good care of your mother. Lilli is right -- it does not necessarily always involve living with her.

Bless you, Dennis for caring for your mother. I hope you can find some help with this very difficult challenge. Come back and let us know how things go.
Helpful Answer (0)

If it will help her, yes. If you need couseling, I would recommend going on your own, so you can speak freely.
(btw, taking care of her in a loving manner does not necessarily mean that you have to live with her.)
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.