Hello, looking for a good counselor or therapist for my 84 yo mom. She tells me she wants to talk! She also says she’s depressed and doesn’t want to get out of bed some days. She has rheumatoid arthritis which has slowed her down tremendously.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
You could ask her PCP for a referral.

You could contact her Area Agency on Aging and ask for suggestions of therapists/counselors who regularly see elders.

You could start with an appointment with a geriatric psychiatrist. They don't do counseling, but they could evaluate mother and refer her to a therapist. I think this would be my preference, if it is feasible where you are.

You could look at the list of providers from her insurance company, and select one by convenient location.

No matter how you select a therapist, there may or may not be a good fit. Tell Mom not to be afraid to change counselors if she isn't comfortable/satisfied with the first one.

When looking for someone, consider whether Mom has a preference for a man or a woman, and try to find someone experienced with elders. Also, if Mom happens to be hard of hearing it might be best to avoid someone with an accent that Mom would have even a harder time hearing correctly.

Good luck!
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter