How do you get parent to change clothes (or at least underwear) daily?

My Dad lives alone in another town so there's no one there to check on him daily. Weekly someone comes in and does his laundry and he has only 1 pair of pants, 1 shirt, and 1 pair of underwear. How can we get him to change clothes more often, and to change his underwear daily?

21

Answers

1 2 3
If you help get them to the bathroom it helps alot. I just snatch up Moms old undies and put the new ones on while shes sitting on the "throne" Same with changing pants/ pj bottoms. I dont worry about bathing or washing hair that much . Sponge bath is fine and we just do hair every couple weeks in sink ( then again she keeps hers pinned up ) We try to get her on shower once in a while ( its a walk in ) but doing hair and shower same day got to be too much
Reply to baskethill1

I'm thinking of putting hang clips or a shelf on the wall for each day of the week. Clean underwear on the clips and a fresh outfit of clothes on the shelf. At this point I can put days of the week over each wall clip / shelf even though my mom does not remember what dat it is this shows what to wear for a new day.
Reply to Sisyphus

My mother-in-law changes underwear and "believes" she changes clothes. We have finally decided to not worry about clothing changes unless she has an appt or outing or before church. And will make sure she changes at least weekly. Figured out we were only frustrating ourselves.
Reply to smithcj56

We have been struggling with my mother-in-law to change clothes. We finally decided to just make sure she has on clean clothes before any appointments or outings, and at least once a week. Will see how that goes.
Reply to smithcj56

Thank you,
When my grandmother dresses for bed, I go into her room and take the clothes she has left on her dresser for the next day and place themin the laundry baskest. I think I now need to remove the basket from her room as I am finding that although I have placed clothes in there every night she often has less laundry to wash at the end of the week.
Reply to loveforgrammy

Like I said, I haven't tried it yet so we'll see if it produces any positive results. I did decide to use one of those over the door organizers and hang it on his bathroom door where it will constantly be seen. He is going away for a week so I will wait till he returns to start.
Reply to lynnmp

So, what if he takes them from the wrong slot, or even gets his underwear from the bathroom floor or dirty laundry basket?????

I still keep my legs shaved, if only because,  if I should pass out, be in a coma, when I wake up I can tell how long I was "out" by the hair growth.  lol.
Reply to Sendhelp

Or 12 slots, Lynn - January through December?

[don't worry, this is an extremely old joke not an actual suggestion!]

I have not tried this yet, but thought of an idea. I am going to get a box of some sort and divide it into 7 slots, labeled Sunday through Saturday. Then I will put a clean pair of undies and socks in each slot. When my dad gets dressed in the morning, he will get items from the box, like he does his pills. It may be to late for this habit to take hold (he is 96) but at least I will be able to look at the box and tell how long he has the same ones on.
Reply to lynnmp

I am glad I read through the comments. Good tips. TY everyone.
Reply to CaregiverBoone

1 2 3