How can you convince a lawyer to act faster and give an estimate on fees?

My cousin has a lawyer through the center of aging for her husband, that is in a nursing home. (Alzheimer's). The nursing home has sent a notice to terminate his bed, due to non payment. (pending with lawyer to resolve and distribute funds). My cousin has been in the waiting process for 8 months. My cousin has provided the necessary documentation. When she inquires about when the case will be resolved and how much is owed on her part, he just provides her with a general answer, " Don' t worry about that right now, we will get to it." My cousin is stressed and overwhelmed, afraid of her husband being without accommodations, and not knowing what her out of pocket costs will be. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Dee

15

Answers

Get an "Elder care Attorney". That's what me and my sister did for our father. The attorney stays in touch with us and gets things done and let's us know when we need to do something on our end. He charged $5000.00 up front for his services and it has been worth every penny.

I would pin the attorney down to a specific time length - how many weeks or by what date. If he could not provide that without any argument, that is a warning. And if by then he has done nothing, then immediately seek out another attorney. Do NOT deal with people who procrastinate.

I am an Ombudsman. Once the patient has an attorney, I have to step back and I am out of the picture. So cousin cannot call in an Ombudsman.

LOA ODBUDSMAN can help they telling u they r kicking people out but in Va they have to have a safe discharge. I been going thru a lot w my mom.

I am an attorney in Maine. Our firm, Brennan & Rogers, PLLC, focuses on elder law and estate planning. We are members of Life Care Planning Law Firm association. See https://lcplfa.org/. Members have a geriatric care manger on staff that have training in assisting with placement and care coordination and the lawyers are focused on elder law. I would recommend you check https://lcplfa.org/ for an attorney in your area. Another resource is NALEA (/www.naela.org) the National Academy of Elder Law attorneys. Both organizations should lead you to an attorney that is prepared to deal with your situation.

Smilie Rogers

Did your cousin sign a retainer agreement? I don't know if any attorney would work without a contract. Alternatively, tell the attorney he's fired, you're filing a complaint with the Bar Association, and demand he turn over the legal file. That will demonstrate what, if anything, he's done & will likely generate a bill.

The lawyer that my husband and I use has always told us to do this first. What ever lawyer that we use ask up front how much do you charge. If the lawyer will not give a straight answer get up and walk out. This was the words of our lawyer to us. I would find another lawyer IMMEDIATELY. Best of luck to all of you.

Find another lawyer fast!

I worked in the legal system many, many years ago. I recall there is some kind of legal organization that people can go to for advice and help. I believe it might be the Bar Association of Attorneys. Perhaps your local reference library can help. Ask them how to handle this. Another way is to send a very firmly stated letter to the attorney you want answers - now. Send the letter registered mail, attorney's signature upon receipt only. It is now a legal document and I believe he would be forced to answer your letter. Good luck.

I don't know about this, but can you ask your state Bar Association about this?