How can I convince my father to go to the hospital?

My father isn't really healthy :( he went to the hospital numerous times, he has heart and lunge problems plus he had cancer 10 years ago, and the last time he went to the hospital was, i think, 7 months ago?.. anw since then he didn't go to the hospital, he is so careless, i keep asking him if he's taking his meds he says yes although i know he's not, and i also keep telling him to go to the hospital for a check up but he doesn't listen, I'm really hurt:( i can see him fading away and i know his health is becoming worse each day, but he just does not listen, I'm just so afraid that he's going to die soon if he stays like that :(, please can anyone tell me how can i convince him to go to the hospital :'(...

27

Answers

1 2 3
Nancy1234, sorry your Dad is like this but if not mentally incompetent nothing much u can do. He has his own rights.

Ellie, I'm surprised police do this. Where I live, you cannot force someone to go to the hospital unless a danger to someone and that is with going thru a lot of red tape.

Is he even competent? If so, I'm not sure there's going to be much you can do at this point. If not, you may summons to court for emergency guardianship and override him with that in place

Nancy -- It's hard to second-guess stubborn parents who are their own worst enemy, but do you have any idea why your father is so invested in self-neglect? Depressed by loss of wife? Angry that career, etc cut short by health issues? Or is this "crash and burn" a life-long pattern?

ellie23, I'm not sure what the situation is. You got a phone call last night, or your dad did? Who was the caller? Is Father now in the hospital or was someone asking you to get him there?

father had a stroke 14 years ago has lung chest problems rheumatism wont give up smoking has had to into hospital several times chest infections low oxygen low blood sugar, Puts up a struggle to go into hospital fought with police put in handcuffs and had a police escort last time in hospital had a phone call last night had to go in again what can we do?

Hi Nancy, I personally wouldn't wait no two days for him to agree to a hospital visit because you never know that by then it might be too late. Call a squad now and get him there now, don't take his word for it. If you must go for medical POA and even guardianship, do it

i took all of your advices , he told me yesterday that he'll go in these couple of days, but i think he only said it because that's what i want to hear, but i hope he'll do it!

Nancy what are the conditions like in your country where you live? Do you think he has see to much and endured to much which make him feel like life is to hard? If so perhaps mental health help is what he needs. Is that something possible to get for him? You can keep trying and do, however he may not respond. I do hope the best for you. Dads been through a lot. I hope things improve for him. Big hugs and keep talking its good for you to get it out.

Suggest to him what could happen to him if he DOESN'T go to the hospital!

1 2 3