I live in Florida where we may get hit by "Isaac", a forecasted cat.1 hurricane. How can I get mom to leave her home and come to mine?

My mom refuses to leave her condo even in the event of this hurricane. I am not comfortable having her stay there alone during the storm but is there any way that I can actually make her come to my house? I would stay by her, but I have no doubt that her building will lose power as it has many times during a severe thunderstorm. I don't think it is wise for us to remain there with no a/c, lights, no tv and no refrigerator when my home is less likely to lose power. She is adamant and I believe that it will be unsafe for her/us to stay there. There are no other family members for her to stay with. Any suggestions would be welcome.

25

Answers

1 2 3
That is a lot of water n when some places have such a drought like we do here n it just rains forever that is when trees just start to tumble over. Of course rain like that you need a canoe. Hopefully, the rain will stop for yall.

Madge1 - well Issac just goes to show that the whole Cat 1 - Cat 5 doesn't cover it all, now does it? In so many ways I'm glad that FL was on the dirty side of Issac and Tampa/St Pete got rain/surge/flooding while RNC was there so that folks from landlocked parts of the US hopefully got to feel what hurricanes can do and how wide the area that is affected is. And this was barely a Cat 1 storm.

libdeb - Issac made landfall in Plaquemine's parish which is south of New Orleans and is the mouth of the Mississippi then tracked slightly west of NOLA and headed up through Jefferson Parish towards Baton Rouge (this is very much like what H. Gustave did - which was a Cat 3). Issac moved really really slow, like at one point was only moving a 8 mph so imagine how much more rain when that's the speed as opposed to a storm moving at 30 mph. The bands of rain went from the Florida keys to Florida panhandle and all along the AL and MS coastal areas to west to New Iberia, LA and so there has been a huge surge on the Gulf coast and much more water from rain from 3 days over a big area which is why there was flooding and overtopping of rivers and levee's and dams like what happened at Quin State Park which is up in McComb, MS and pretty far from the coast. Many rivers are just cresting today (sunday 9/2). We got rain starting about noon on Tuesday & it rained in bands continuously till Thurs afternoon, that's alot of water no matter how you look at it so at some point the ground is saturated & then it floods.

I thought it hit Mobile Alabama as well?

Wow! 18 inches of rain in Wellington Flordia (west of West Palm Beach). We got 10 inches of rain. I had very minimal flooding in my garage. Never saw that before.

No, some people did not heed the warnings in New Orleans. Unfortunate.

My husband's family went through Hurricane Andrew. Believe me, if I ever hear of a Cat4 or 5 heading my way, I will be on I-95 heading north as fast as I can. I don't need anyone to try and talk me into leaving. I have seen what a Cat 4 or 5 can do and it isn't pretty.

Take care.

Seems like it hit Louisana again, hopefully everyone living their took shelter n r safe.

I have been watching the storm reports for the gulf areas and I just wanted to say that I hope you all keep safe and make it through swiftly and with no damage. Good luck...my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I hope all of you in he path of the storm stay safe. May God give you extra strength.

I do hope everyone that near the storm to be safe as much as possible. I talk to my folks earlier n Floridia n they r getting bands of rain. Hopefully this hurricane will die down soon before it hits Louisana. They already evaluated people in Mobile Al earlier today.

Thank you, allalone...we've been watching the advisories and see that some areas have really gotten pounded...now, it seems we are the center of the bullseye..darn it! I hope your area has calmed down, as we begin that long wait for it to start. The stores were insane today...and Monday is Mamma's day for me to do her errands and groceries. Tomorrow by this time..we should be facing the eye of the storm...or at least know if we are a direct hit or not! Hope life is returning to some semblance of normal for you and Madge, who also seems to be caught up in this crazy weather!

Madge1, I've been having the same weather and same thoughts...much worse out today than yesterday. It just stopped coming down and I hope it stays that way. Thanks for your post and you, too, stay safe and dry!

1 2 3