How do I convince the doctor my mother needs rehab?

Long story short, my mother is in that space between where she needs rehab or possibly a personal care home. She is in the hospital now and if she can get some rehab my hope is she can come back home and be functional a few more years. The Occupational Therapist agreed with me, but the doctor is leaning toward home health care. Bottom line! I can't stay home with her 24/7 and she can't afford a personal care home.She'so not eligible for full Medicaid because she draws $1200 from her social security...the limit is $1010. Her supplement cost $220 and her dentures are $177 per month. Where will I find any personal care home for $800 per month. This is a nightmare...any thoughts? Much appreciated.

16

Answers

The Social worker should be doing this for you

Maybe you should get a different doctor. Whenever I didn't like what one would agree to, I would go to a different "specialist". Some are more understanding and humane than others.

Once you speak to your local SSI office to report the change in living situation, see if they'll increase her benefit. If there's such a thing but I'd inquire. I'm glad it worked out for your mom, all the best.

Just need to say, the Medicaid you get to help with Medical bills is not the same as Medicaid that pays for a nursing home. Longcare nursing care cost $10,000 a month where I live. If ur Mom has no assets then she will probably qualify, if that is what u need eventually. AL where I live go as high as $7000. Talk to the Social Worker. She could help place your Momin rehab but...that is only a fix for now. If she doesn't improve then u may need options. You need to talk to Medicaid. Call Office of the aging.

Hi Ambriel, I'm so glad you had a friend with you, who looked into options. I'm curious - had you already taken her home, so are you taking her to the facility, or is she still in the hospital? It is not easy for many of us to stand up to professionals, who act so sure they know just what's best or what's possible - so I'm glad the Home Health Nurse showed you how it has to be done..... I find it very hard to speak firmly as she did - and I get walked over often. Once I've really seen the consequences, I can be more firm, but if there's any question, I'm too quick to go along - which takes all the burden of making any change, off of everyone else, so they applaud people for accepting the risks and saying it's all fine. I hope you find a good experience at the assisted living - I always go for the right location - and fight about the money afterwards. Much more important to get the right level of care, and find others to support her health and you can also keep saying, and make them put it on her record or find someone else to say so (find a different MD if needed - I eventually did that for my brother, much easier with respectful backing) that she needs OT assessment and support in that facility. It'll be some adjustment for her to get used to the facility, but I hope you can find things to encourage, as it sounds as if you have been so caring and helpful to her.

Do u mean Medicare? Is ur Mom over 65. Medicarepays the first 20days. 50% for up to100. Supplimental may pick up some. Talk with the Social Worker. Explain the situation. Is the doctor her primary or the hospital dr. If hospital, contact her primary. He should be able to placeher. Medicaid comes in when ur Mom needs longcare nursing. If she has no assets her SS will go to her care. ALs you pay out of pocket for. The two near me you need two years upfront and then Medicaid will take over.

If she or her spouse were in the military, contact the VA by phone to talk to someone in Aid and Assistance. Get information on an agent that would be near your area that will be able to get any and all help available. This program is for both veterans and spouses/widows or widowers. It's worth checking into it.

Ambriel: The spend down (in the state of Massachusetts) dictates when you go on Medicaid that you only allowed to own $2K and under. And be prepared if she does apply for Medicaid for the 5 year look back (save all bank transactions).

I would get a second opinion from another doctor as soon as possible. The longer it is for rehab to start, the longer it takes if at all.

You should NOT have to pay out of your own pocket on any permanent basis. Go to your state health dept or your country senior care dept. I am from AZ and do not know GA requirements, but seems to me that Medicare supplement and denture payments should be considered medical deductions that come off her social security income, so if you are then left with $800/mo, she is way below qualifying! In AZ, one qualifies for Medicaid.....to pay for facility fees at least, with $2000 in income or in the bank or checking account per month and can still own a house and a car if they are in rehab and might come back to their home eventually.

Was Mom married to a veteran who served even one day during an authorized war? Did not even have to serve IN the war....just be active duty. If so, there is a VA benefit called Aid and Attendance that she might qualify for too. With Medicaid, generally speaking, a diagnosis of dementia means an automatic approval for help from them, even if it's not full Medicaid coverage, it would cover her rent in a facility because of her dementia. Is she moving into a personal care home that eventually would accept Medicaid? Please look into it, as it just doesn't make sense to me that she would not qualify for Medicaid, based on what I went through qualifying my Dad.